Students will have the opportunity to specialise in particular methodologies and to learn more about the application of these methodologies to illuminate important issues and debates in contemporary society.
Social Science Research Highlights
The Social Science Research programme at Queen's University Belfast is designed to develop critical understanding of contemporary issues as well as practical employment-orientated research skills and the ability to work independently.
Research skills are highly transferable and marketable, and needed across a range of sectors – academic, government, charities and business. MRes students receive excellent advanced training in both quantitative and qualitative research skills and gain experience of independent project management through the dissertation. Graduates can use their qualification to develop a career in any aspect of social research. The MRes is also ideal high-level preparation for doctoral research (PhD).
Queen's postgraduates reap exceptional benefits. Unique initiatives, such as Degree Plus and Researcher Plus bolster our commitment to employability, while innovative leadership and executive programmes help our students gain key leadership positions both nationally and internationally.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Approaches to Social Research
- Theory and Debates in Social Research
- The Sources and Construction of Qualitative Data
- The Sources and Construction of Quantitative Data
- Qualitative Data Analysis
- Quantitative Data Analysis: Foundational
- Quantitative Data Analysis: Intermediate
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesSocial Work Sociology View 551 other Masters in Sociology in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally a 2.1 Honours degree or above or equivalent qualification acceptable to the University in a social science or related discipline.
- Applicants holding a 2.1 Honours degree in a non-related discipline may be considered if they have at least two years of professional experience in a relevant context.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International18200 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18200 GBP per year during 12 months.
National6650 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 6650 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Northern Ireland (NI) - £6,650
- Republic of Ireland (ROI) - £6,650
- England, Scotland or Wales (GB) - £7,470
- EU Other - £18,200
- International - £18,200
Living costs for Belfast
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.