Thus, biochemists and biophysicists study the atomic structure and folding of biopolymers; their interactions with each other and with small molecules; and the roles of particular biopolymers and biopolymer assemblies in cellular physiology. The basic building block of life is the cell and the intellectual focus of modern biochemistry and biophysics is to understand how individual parts interact to give cells their wide spectrum of functions. In particular, biochemistry and molecular biophysics addresses the principles through which the individual components of cells combine in an orderly self-association to produce their form, their function, and their dynamic behavior.
An integrated approach to graduate study in biochemistry and molecular biophysics has been organized primarily by the Division of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering and the Division of Biology and Biological Engineering. The curriculum of the Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics program at California Institute of Technology - Caltech is designed to provide a broad background in biochemistry and biophysics of macromolecules and molecular assemblies, in addition to an appropriate depth of knowledge in the field selected for the Ph.D. thesis research. By graduation time, our students are expected not only to be highly competent in their chosen area of research, but to have also acquired a broad knowledge foundation in biochemistry and molecular biophysics, independently planned and conducted research experiments in their chosen area, and successfully defended their thesis work in an open forum.
- Biochemistry and Biophysics of Macromolecules and Molecular Assemblies
- Biophysical/Structural Methods
- Advanced Topics in Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics
- Macromolecular Function: kinetics, energetics, and mechanisms
- Macromolecular Structure Determination with Modern X-ray Crystallography Methods
- Current Research in Cellular and Molecular Biology
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics Molecular Sciences Biochemistry View 746 other Masters in Biochemistry in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at California Institute of Technology - Caltech and/or in United States, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent before beginning graduate study.
- Transcripts from each college or university attended
- Three letters of recommendation
- A CV
- Applicant's statement of purpose are required components of the application and are carefully and equally weighed during the evaluation process
- GRE scores are not required
- For applicants whose native language is not English or who have not received a degree from a university or college where English is the primary language of instruction, it is important to demonstrate a strong capability in English. This can be done by self-reporting scores from the Educational Testing Service (TOEFL), Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic), the Cambridge Examinations and the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or other services that provide a certified English-language proficiency examination.
International56364 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56364 USD per year during 12 months.
National56364 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 56364 USD per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Pasadena
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.