To achieve these goals, our program cultivates students who are theoretically- and scientifically-informed critical thinkers who demonstrate excellence as providers of high-quality, evidence-based prevention, assessment, intervention and research services. Graduates of the School and Applied Child Psychology program at University of Calgary leave well-armed to serve as leaders in the effective application of educational and psychological principles to the learning environment at both the individual and systems levels.
Completing this program
- Content Courses: Topics include research design in statistics, ethics in professional psychology, disorders of learning and behaviour and more.
- Thesis: Students will be required to submit and defend an original research thesis.
- Practicum Courses: Two practicum courses in a supervised setting.
OutcomesResearch, not-for-profit organizations, community agencies, post-secondary institutions, hospitals, counsellors, private practice settings, intercultural communication, culture studies, curricular consultant, public and private education systems,community and non-governmental agencies.
- Ethics in Professional Psychology
- Family and Social Bases of Behaviour
- Cognitive and Affective Bases of Behaviour
- Professional Practice of School Psychology
- Theories and Skills of Counselling
- School-based Intervention and Consultation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology Counselling Psychology View 33 other Masters in Educational Psychology in Canada
- A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the last two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- Honours degree in Psychology (or equivalent) is preferred; applicants with a degree in Psychology, previous experience in the Psychological field. This must include: One undergraduate course in statistics, one senior undergraduate Psychology, or Educational Psychology course in each of cognitive-affective bases of behaviour. All prerequisite coursework must be completed with a grade of “B-” or above.
- A curriculum vitae and statement of research and professional interests
- A short statement of intent (approximately 500 words) of your research and professional interest in school psychology
- A current Police Information Check which includes a Criminal Record Check and a Vulnerable Sector Search.
- Two reference letters
International8242 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8242 CAD per year during 24 months.
National3533 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3533 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Calgary
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.