Students in the Philosophy program at University of Calgary will become part of a vibrant intellectual community in one of Canada's preeminent philosophy programs. Activities coordinated by the philosophy department include graduate seminars, regular research group meetings and an active series of visiting speakers. All full-time students get office space in the department with access to computer facilities. The department's open layout, with offices around a central lounge area, invites the social and intellectual exchange that is fundamental to an education in philosophy.
Completing this program
- Core Courses: Two courses in the history of philosophy, two courses in 20th century/contemporary philosophy and the Graduate Proseminar.
- Remedial Courses: If required, students will remedy background deficiencies taking senior undergraduate course work.
- Final Master's Examination Thesis: Students will complete both oral and written final exams.
- Additional Courses: Topics may include philosophy of science, history of philosophy, metaphysics, ethics, philosophy of language, epistemology, logic and more.
- Course Load: Students must complete at least one course in each annual registration period.
OutcomesAcademia, law, public policy, research analysis, consulting, publishing.
- Topics in the History of Philosophy
- Topics in Metaphysics
- Topics in the Philosophy of Religion
- Topics in Ethics
- Topics in Social and Political Philosophy
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhilosophy & Ethics Religious Studies & Theology Liberal Arts View 50 other Masters in Liberal Arts in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Calgary and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of 3.5 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- A four-year undergraduate degree with honours or a major in philosophy. Applicants with a degree in a related academic field will be considered.
- A sample of written work, such as a recent essay, written in English.
International8638 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4319 CAD per semester during 36 months.
National3502 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1751 CAD per semester during 36 months.
Living costs for Calgary
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.