The thesis-based Military, Security and Strategic Studies program at the University of Calgary places the study of war, defence, and security issues within the context of past and present human experience. With flexible programs, leading scholars in a variety of disciplines, and generous funding opportunities, we strive to ensure our students achieve success in their pursuits.
Completing this program
- Core Courses: Classics of Strategy, Advanced Analysis of International Relations and Strategic Studies.
- Block Week Course: Students will complete Military and Strategic Studies: Questions and Methods in the week preceding their first term.
- Additional Courses: May include arctic security, Canadian military studies, U.S. security, ethics and morality, intelligence, and other topics.
- Thesis: Students are required to submit and defend an original research thesis.
OutcomesBanking, Police Service, Government, Military Procurement, Oil and Gas, NATO, Advocacy Groups.
- Classics of Strategy
- Advanced Analysis of International Relations
- Strategic Studies
- Military and Strategic Studies: Questions and Methods
- Advanced Studies in Canadian Arctic Security
- War and Interpretation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesInternational Relations Emergency & Disaster Management Political Science View 40 other Masters in International Relations in Canada
- A minimum of 3.4 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- A four year baccalaureate degree, or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- A writing sample
- A research proposal
- Two reference letters
International8242 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8242 CAD per year during 24 months.
National3533 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3533 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Calgary
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.