In the Mathematics and Statistics program at University of Calgary you may study pure mathematics such as combinatorics, discrete mathematics, geometry, logic, number theory and cryptography, analysis, mathematical physics, probability and statistics. Or you may study applied mathematics and statistics, including industrial mathematics and operations research, with potential overlap with biology and medicine, medical imaging, oil and gas, software application development, finance and geoscience; biomedical and industrial statistics, actuarial science, environmental risk and big data analysis. Students have access to events hosted by the Pacific Institute for the Mathematical Sciences.
Completing this program
- Mathematics Courses: Topics may include measure and integration, analysis, algebraic geometry, number theory, scientific modelling and more.
- Seminars: In addition to required courses, students register in a research seminar in either actuarial science,mathematics, or statistics (depending on student's specialization).
- Statistics Courses: Topics may include probability, estimation, hypothesis testing and more.
- Project: All students will complete resulting in a written report.
- Actuarial Science
OutcomesUniversities and colleges, Government of Canada (Canadian citizens only), banking and finance, information technology and cybersecurity, energy, risk management and insurance, health, pharmaceuticals, environmental management, quantum computing, data analytics, medical imaging.
- Measure and Integration
- Differential Equations
- Theory of Probability
- Computational Statistics
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMathematics Applied Mathematics Statistics View 27 other Masters in Applied Mathematics in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Calgary and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- Bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, in the subject of the specialization to which the application is made, or a closely related area.
- Three reference letters
International8638 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4319 CAD per semester during 12 months.
National3502 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1751 CAD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Calgary
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.