The Communication, Media and Film program pf University of Calgary offers a dynamic environment, a community of students from around the world, and a faculty dedicated to fostering a setting where students can reach their full academic potential.
We also offer interdisciplinary scholarship and rigorous theoretical and methodological grounding, and encourage students to develop unique programs of study that reach beyond the boundaries of traditional academic subjects.
Our approach is primarily qualitative, producing research with a tangible impact for diverse communities.
Completing this program
- Core Courses: Topics include interdisciplinary approaches to communication and media studies, communication theory and research methods.
- Thesis: Students will be required to submit and defend an original research thesis.
- Additional Courses: Topics may include critical media studies, communication infrastructure, environmental communication issues, media and politics and more.
OutcomesAcademic careers; private sector: communication/media/film related companies, companies dependent on digital media, wifi services; public sector: non-profit organizations, government positions dependent on digital communication.
- Interdisciplinary Approaches to Communication and Media Studies
- Communication and Cultural Theory
- Critical Media Studies
- Representation and Identity
- Communications and Cultural Industries
- Social and Media Activism
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCommunication Studies Media Studies & Mass Media Digital Communication View 59 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Calgary and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of 3.0 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- A completed four year baccalaureate degree in Communications Studies, Culture Studies or related field.
- Two samples of written work.
- A statement of research intent (250-500 words)
- A detailed curriculum vitae
- Two reference letters
International8242 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8242 CAD per year during 24 months.
National3533 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3533 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Calgary
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.