Our students are curious and driven to understand the world around them. And the research options are boundless for students accepted into the thesis-based Anthropology program at University of Calgary, boasting both a socio-cultural stream (anthropology and militarization, medical anthropology, sustainability, urban anthropology) and a biological anthropology stream (conservation, human osteology, population genetics, primatology, paleoanthropology).
Completing this program
- Core courses include Thesis Development and Professional Skills for Anthropologists.
- Students choose a methods course: either Methods in Anthropological Research or Current Issues in Methodology in Primatology.
- Students choose a theory course: either Anthropological Theory or Primatological Theory.
- Students are required to prepare a thesis and successfully defend in an open oral defense.
Cultural Resource Management, Corporate Consulting, International health organizations, International and community development, Market research, Law, Humanitarian efforts, forensics, medicine, veterinary medicine, conservation, academic positions.
- Professional Skills for Anthropologists
- Methods in Anthropological Research
- Current Issues in Methodology in Primatology
- Anthropological Theory
- Primatological Theory
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Archaeology Anthropology View 105 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Canada
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Calgary and/or in Canada, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A minimum of 3.3 GPA on a 4.0 point system, over the past two years of full-time study (a minimum of 10 full-course equivalents or 60 units) of the undergraduate degree.
- A four year baccalaureate degree, or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- An example of the applicant's written work in the research context.
- A statement outlining the applicant's interests and reasons for wishing to pursue graduate work in this department. Clearly identify your thesis research area
- A C.V
International8242 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8242 CAD per year during 24 months.
National3533 CAD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3533 CAD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Calgary
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.