The International Masters in Economy, State and Society (IMESS) from Jagiellonian University, recognised for its excellence by the European Union's Erasmus Mundus Programme, is a two-year double degree Master's programme, taught in English and offered by a consortium of leading European universities headed by the University College London - London's research and teaching powerhouse and one of the top five universities worldwide.
Students choose from a range of courses focusing on the economies, states and societies of Central and Eastern Europe. The consortium also includes Associate Partners from the corporate sector (banks, businesses, libraries, NGOs etc), and in addition to the academic excellence, we emphasize the value of internship experience for our students.
IMESS incorporates advanced training in methodology and research with specialized study tracks:
- Politics and Security
- Economics and Business
- Nation, History and Society
- Politics and International Economy
Each track combines specialist electives (economics, politics, society or history), research methods training (social sciences or humanities), and language tuition with an advanced research dissertation conducted during the latter part of the degree. The central objective of the programme is to enhance global understanding and awareness of the wider European region. As well as developing cultural and linguistic knowledge of both Eastern and Western Europe, participants acquire the skills to identify and critically analyse key factors shaping the economies, states and societies of the expanding European region.
All IMESS students will benefit from: the world-leading expertise of the staff delivering the course; innovation in syllabus and teaching; integrated dissertation supervision; the dynamism of the research environment; the opportunity to participate in conferences, seminars and workshops; an IMESS oriented careers development programme; training in Academic English as well as in a CEE language; the excellence of the consortium's institutional support structures; the programme's interactive virtual learning environment; and the IMESS Alumni Association.
The IMESS programme will thus provide an essential flow of European expertise necessary for responding to the diverse research and policy challenges of the twenty-first century.
- EU Administration, Justice and Home Affairs
- EU Foreign and Security Policy
- EU Institutions and the Decision-Making Process
- Foreign and International Relations in CEE
- European Integration Theory and Practice
- Political and Social History of 20th Century CEE
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEconomics European Studies Public Policy View 11 other Masters in European Studies in Poland
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Jagiellonian University and/or in Poland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- All applicants should hold (or expect to obtain) an upper second class honours degree (or overseas equivalent) in a relevant subject area. Where the Bachelors degree is in an unrelated subject, candidates must demonstrate their interest in IMESS through the supplementary questionnaire.
- All students whose first language is not English must be able to provide recent evidence that their spoken and written command of the English language is adequate for the programme. For IMESS admissions students must provide evidence of English proficiency - 'good' level in accordance with UCL English Language Policy.
International19937 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19937 GBP per year during 24 months.
National11202 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11202 GBP per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Kraków
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.