Mathematics Education at University of Minnesota is focused on helping transition K-12 curriculum from an emphasis on algorithms to one which emphasizes conceptual understanding and problem solving.
Focus areas of research include:
- STEM integration
- Learning and cognition
- Research on instructor preparation
- Evaluation and assessment
The MA program can be completed in two years of full-time study or can be completed in a longer timeline on a part-time basis.
To view the core curriculum and electives visit the MA in Education, Curriculum and Instruction page in the course catalogue and look under sub-plan for "Mathematics Education".
Two curriculum options are available for MA students. You can choose either a thesis (Plan A) or final paper (Plan B) to complete your degree.
Graduates of the MA in Mathematics Education have assumed positions as university faculty, instructional leaders in the public schools, curriculum development specialists, and assessment specialists. Many go on to earn their PhD in STEM education.
- Rational Number Concepts and Proportionality
- Teaching Problem Solving
- Teaching Probability and Statistics
- Technology-Assisted Mathematics Instruction
- Seminar: Mathematics Education
- Research in Mathematics Education
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Teaching View 966 other Masters in Mathematics in United States
- Unofficial transcripts.Upload your transcripts into the application system. Please include all transcripts from any institution you have attended, even if you did not earn a degree or certificate. Please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted. Tips for uploading your transcript(s).
- CI Application Form. Upload in the graduate program additional materials section.
- Three letters of recommendation. Ask professors, employers, or supervisors to speak to your potential for successfully completing your degree; they will upload their letters directly into the online application.
- Personal statement.
- Diversity statement.
- Short writing sample.
International15960 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15960 USD per year during 24 months.
National15960 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15960 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State10908 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10908 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.