The MEd, Mathematics Education - Professional Studies degree from University of Minnesota does not lead to teaching licensure and is designed for teachers that already hold a teaching license. If you wish to earn your teaching license, please apply to our MEd and Teaching License in Mathematics Education program.
With guidance from faculty advisors, candidates complete courses in three areas: a core academic program in education, courses specific to the area of mathematics education, and elective courses. Coursework is planned around your individual interests.
Topics covered include:
- instruction and assessment
- technology-assisted mathematics instruction
- teaching problem solving
- mathematics for diverse learners
- Teachers with a master's degree are regarded as experts in their field, making you a more competitive job candidate with an MEd
- Teachers who have a master's degree will see a roughly $7,000 annual salary increase [Teacher.org ]
- Though the salary increase with a master's degree will vary by district and state, Minnesota teachers are on the higher end of the payscale. Median Minnesota teacher salaries were $64,790 and $64,960 for middle school and high school respectively in 2019 [BLS ].
- Once a teacher is employed, there is much more mobility that comes with a Master's. Teachers with advanced degrees can be promoted to school administration positions and can become mentors to other teachers based upon specific graduate training.
- Contemporary Approaches to Curriculum: Instruction and Assessment
- Action Research in Educational Settings
- Teaching and Learning Mathematics
- Technology-Assisted Mathematics Instruction
- Directed Studies in Mathematics Education
- Rational Number Concepts and Proportionality
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesEducation Mathematics Teaching View 1853 other Masters in Teaching in United States
- A bachelor's degree and 2.80 GPA is required.
- Unofficial transcripts. Upload your transcripts into the application system; please do not mail your transcripts. Official transcripts are required only after you are admitted.
- Resume. Tailor your resume to focus on relevant academic and work experience.
- Personal statement. Describe your career goals and rationale for pursuing your MEd Limit: 1 page.
- An English translation of your transcripts, if the transcript is not in English.
- A course by course evaluation may be required.
- TOEFL scores.
- International students with F-1 visas may take no more than the equivalent of one completely online education class (or 3 credits per semester) and count it towards their full-time course requirement.
International28560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14280 USD per semester during 12 months.
National28560 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14280 USD per semester during 12 months.
In-State18456 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9228 USD per semester during 12 months.
Living costs for Minneapolis
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.