You will gain an understanding – on Master’s level – of the complexities of the different development finance resources available to poor countries, especially in Africa. You will acquire the skills to help formulate and implement policies to make this happen. You will also be exposed to skills that are crucial for Africa’s future – such as economic development, project finance, and responsible leadership.
A transformative learning pathway awaits you – in particular if you see your future self in senior positions in the financial services industry and in policy-making and regulatory institutions.
The aim of this Development Finance course from Stellenbosch University is to offer an internationally recognised academic qualification with content that is relevant in terms of Africa’s development needs. This critical-skills degree is designed to:
- Fill the skills gaps in the financial industry and in policy-making and regulatory institutions in the development finance environment
- Better understand the complexities of and manage the different development finance resources available to poor countries, especially in Africa
- Understand the special problems of finance in developing countries and Africa in particular, and to acquire the skills to operate successfully and to make a meaningful contribution to policy formulation and implementation in this field.
- Demonstrate appreciation of the emerging financial technologies and their application in the financial services industry.
This MPhil can give you access to a PhD Development Finance, which will allow you to become an expert in the field of development finance.
- Economic Development Perspectives in Africa
- Issues in Banking and Finance
- Small Business Finance
- Project Finance
- Financial Technologies and Innovative Finance
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Modular: 6 March
- Blended: 20 February
DisciplinesFinance International Development View 44 other Masters in Finance in South Africa
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Stellenbosch University and/or in South Africa, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- An appropriate Honours degree (the first postgraduate degree after a Bachelor’s degree) or a 4-year Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, economics, accounting or commerce; OR
- A 3-year Bachelor’s degree and a postgraduate diploma (120 SAQA credits) from a university or a university of technology in business, finance, economics, accounting or commerce; OR
- A postgraduate degree in any discipline and appropriate experience in the area of development economics and/or finance; AND
- A sound understanding of quantitative analysis – a good pass/grade for school-leaving mathematics is an advantage.
International7099 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14198 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
National5677 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11354 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- Students from South Africa: R205,130
- International students from the rest of the world: R256,520
Living costs for Stellenbosch
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.