The History and Historic Preservation program at University of Maryland reflects the hybrid relationship of professional practice that frequently engages professionals from both fields.
Historic preservation is a multidisciplinary field that cuts across the design fields, the social sciences and the humanities. Preservationists today must grapple with social, historical and cultural issues in order to work with a broad range of professionals in the public, private and nonprofit sectors.
In order to achieve this goal the Graduate Program in Historic Preservation at the University of Maryland draws from the fields of American Studies, Anthropology, Architecture, Historic Preservation, History, Landscape Architecture, and Urban Studies and Planning. The program trains preservation professionals who will be familiar with the different disciplines and approaches that make up contemporary preservation practice.
- History and Contemporary Theory
- History, Theory, and Practice of Historic Preservation
- Preservation Policy and Planning
- Social and Ethnic Issues in Historic Preservation Practice
- Historic Preservation Law, Advocacy and Public Policy
- Conservation of Historic Places: Historic Materials, Building Systems, and Conservation
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArchitecture History View 422 other Masters in Architecture in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL/IELTS/PTE (international graduate students)
- Letters of Recommendation (3)
- Writing Sample of at least 10-30 pages. This can be previous individual academic work or professional work. It does not necessarily have to be related to historic preservation, however a related topic is preferred. Upload to the Writing Sample section of the Uploads Requirements page in the application.
- Description of Research/Work Experience (optional):
- Portfolio PDF Upload (optional)
International62490 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2083 USD per credit during 24 months.
National62490 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2083 USD per credit during 24 months.
In-State33750 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 1125 USD per credit during 24 months.
Living costs for College Park
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.