Our Master of Science in Nursing – Psych-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner online program at Northern Kentucky University covers the full scope of practice, integrating the diagnosis, treatment, and management of mental health disorders for patients across the life span. You will learn to treat individuals and families with acute or chronic psychiatric needs using comprehensive assessment, psycho-social intervention, and prescription medications.Mental health nursing courses synthesize neuroscientific principles, neurophysiological theory, and a broad range of therapeutic methods — including how to incorporate variables of lifestyle, culture, religion, socio-economics, and genetics into risk assessments. Curriculum emphasizes advanced psychopharmacology and aligns with NKU's strategic mission to address a regional opioid issue and our overall commitment to be agents of change by promoting population health.Core MSN coursework includes two DNP-level courses and provides in-depth study of fundamentals of theory and research for evidence-based practice, healthcare policy, economics, and the analysis and application of health data in advanced nursing practice.Once you graduate, you will be eligible to take the ANCC NCC Psychiatric – Mental Health NP certification examination. Our nurses have an ANCC three-year pass rate of 88.94%.
Program Learning OutcomesIn this online MSN – Nursing - Psych-Mental Health Nurse Practitioner program, you will:
- Critically analyze data for practice by integrating knowledge from arts and sciences within the context of nursing's philosophical framework and scientific foundation
- Use evidence-based practice to demonstrate advanced levels of clinical judgment, systems thinking, and accountability while implementing change to improve healthcare outcomes
- Integrate nursing science, educational frameworks, health policy, professional values, and principles of business to implement initiatives that facilitate the highest level of advanced nursing practice
- Demonstrate sensitivity to diverse cultures and populations including patients and providers
- Analyze one's own behaviors and institutional practices and policies for coherence with principles of caring
- Apply effective communication in order to facilitate nursing practice at an advanced level
- Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and Research
- Health Care Policy and Economics in Population Health
- Advanced Theoretical Foundations of Nursing Practice and Research
- Diagnostic Reasoning and Advanced Physical Assessment
- Advanced Clinical Pharmacology and Intervention for APRN's
- Role Development in Advanced Practice Nursing
- 22 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Human Medicine Nursing View 513 other Masters in Public Health in United States
- Complete online application and pay $40 non-refundable application fee
- If you are an NKU alumni or active/veteran military member, your application fee will be waived. Simply submit the online application without payment of the application fee; the fee will be waived when your credentials are verified. No further action is required.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree from both a regionally accredited program and an ACEN, CCNE or CNEA-accredited program
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate academic work and any graduate work completed
- Undergraduate course in statistics with a grade of C or better
- Verification of your current, unencumbered RN license with expiration date from the state in which you are licensed and practice
- 2,000 clinical hours of practice as a Registered Nurse in Psychiatric Mental Health; fill out the verification form here
- A criminal background check
International14784 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27104 USD for the full programme during 22 months.
National14784 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 27104 USD for the full programme during 22 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.