While completing the program, students will not only learn crucial story skills and writing tools, but also become comfortable expressing their unique voices within the screenwriting and playwriting formats. They will create a strong and diverse portfolio across a variety of media. In addition to learning the craft of writing, students will focus on how to create material designed for independent production.
To complement this education, the curriculum also focuses on teaching skills that will empower writers to bring their own dramatic work to life. Students of the Dramatic Writing at Missouri State University will gain fundamental skills of film and theatre producing, as well as above-the-line video production skills. They will also have opportunities for expanding their knowledge through either academic study, hands-on-experience, or a mixture of both. This program ultimately aims to empower future writers by teaching them not only the craft of writing, but also the professional expectations of the industry. Students will gain hands-on experience in a variety of contexts in order to prepare for professional writing opportunities in the future.
- TV/Film Producing and Marketing
- Writing Episodic Pilots
- Writing Episodic Television
- Feature Film Writing
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesVisual Arts Creative Writing View 819 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
- The applicant must be of junior or senior standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.25.
- The applicant must have declared a minor in Screenwriting or declared to add a certificate in Writing for Television and Film. The applicant must also have completed 6 hours of screenwriting or playwriting courses.
- The applicant must submit two letters of recommendation, one of which must be written by a graduate faculty member in the Department of Media, Journalism & Film.
- The applicant must submit a 300-800 word Statement of Purpose.
- The applicant must submit a writing sample from a play or screenplay (5-10 pages in standard formatting).
- Admission decisions will be made by the Graduate Faculty. Meeting the above entrance requirements does not guarantee admission to the Master of Fine Arts in Dramatic Writing Accelerated Program.
Living costs for Springfield
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.