You’ll start the The Master of Arts in Theatre from Case Western Reserve University program with foundations of theater from Greco-Roman times to Romanticism and the global impacts of the art form, then delve deep into American drama history or contemporary studies. Specialize in directing or dramatic writing, or map your own path by selecting a different disciplinary specialty to supplement your base coursework.
Your program, which takes about two years to complete, culminates in a project or thesis focused on the topic of your choice.
Over the years, students have analyzed topics such as gender in theater as well as the relationship between television and theater, and musical theater direction. Regardless of your course of study, our multi-talented faculty—whose performance venues include experiences with The National Theatre, the Stratford Festival and Shakespeare Theatre—are there to guide you at every stage.
- Development of Theater: Beginnings to English Renaissance
- Development of Theater: Renaissance to Romanticism
- American Drama: American Drama
- Modern and Contemporary Drama
- Dramatic Text Analysis
- Performance History
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesMusic Theatre & Dance View 331 other Masters in Theatre & Dance in United States
- Online application, including a letter of intent
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (either already complete, or will be complete before you enroll)
- Some acting experience or university training, preferred
- Current resume/CV and headshot
- Two letters of recommendation
- The CWRU/CPH MFA Acting Program sees candidates through the University/Resident Theatre Association’s (URTA) National Unified Auditions or by appointment, and requests two contrasting memorized audition pieces - one contemporary, one Shakespearean verse, as well as a short song.
International50838 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25419 USD per semester during 24 months.
National50838 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25419 USD per semester during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.