The physical world and the virtual world (cyberspace) are converging into new generations of systems like the Cyber-Physical Systems. Such systems monitor physical environments, communicate and cooperate with each other and with human beings in real-time, and make decentralized intelligent decisions. They are highly dependent on components whose functionality is controlled by software.
With the revolution of Industry 4.0, manufactural production also begins to depend on these systems more and more. At the same time, companies and organizations still need IT to automatize their business processes and release human beings form the burden of repetitive and tedious operations.
Business software provides such support but requires a great knowledge of the operational environment in which it runs as it is developed to meet the needs of a specific business. Thus, designing and building software for such systems is an art that also requires skills in context analysis and customization.
Overall, there is an increasing need for a new generation of systems and software technologies that ensures robust, safe, secure, uninterrupted, and real-time operations - particularly in situations where human life or business is exposed to risk if software fails.
In this Master of Science in Software Engineering for Information Systems at Free University of Bozen-Bolzano , you will learn how to conceive, design, implement, customize, and maintain these systems by applying software engineering principles to the industry practice and develop and test your prototypes. Courses are designed to provide you with advanced software engineering knowledge and practice of software and systems development complemented by competences in lean management and entrepreneurship.
Typical job profiles are:
- Software and Information Systems Engineer: Analysis, design, implementation, customization, overhaul, and maintenance of intelligent solutions with high reliability and performance for information systems, by fully exploiting inventions and software technologies for pragmatic application and rapid commercialization, in real time and on a large scale. Such information systems include: ICT, business, industrial automotive, automation and control, scientific and data processing, the management of complex infrastructures, cyber-physical systems;
- Researcher in industrial and public laboratories: works with roles and functions of conception, analysis, formalization, design and prototype development of new generation software systems and innovative ICT technologies with particular attention to the quality of products, processes and software systems of any level of complexity and size, in strategic sectors of industry and public administration (e.g. University).
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Data Visualization and Exploration
- Programming for Data Analytics
- Alternatives from Catalogue
- Verification and Reliability for Dependable Systems
- Cloud Computing and Distributed Systems
- Contemporary Software Development
- Systems Design and Implementation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , EEA/EU
Applications for the 2021 intake are open from 1 March to 28 April 2021 for both EU and non-EU citizens, and from 19 May to 8 July 2021 for EU citizens only.
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Sciences Computer Sciences Software Engineering View 8 other Masters in Informatics & Information Sciences in Italy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- a bachelor degree in computer science
- a bachelor degree in physics
- the main teaching language in your final high school year if English (recognised as C1)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International748 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 748 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
EU/EEA748 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 748 EUR per year and a duration of 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Check for any work restrictionsVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.