Health psychology master’s graduates will be prepared to progress towards becoming a registered, chartered health psychologist.
This Health Psychology MSc course offered by the University of Southampton will help you become a scientist practitioner in a health care setting.
Health psychology applies the educational, scientific and professional psychological principles to:
- promote and maintain health
- study the cause of illness
- prevent, diagnose, treat and rehabilitate physical illness
- psychological, social, emotional and behavioural factors in physical illness
- improving health care
- the formulation of health policy
In Msc Health Psychology your taught study will focus around three themes:
- biopsychosocial aspects of health
- psychosocial aspects of illness and disability
- psychological aspects of the delivery of health care
On this master’s in health psychology, you’ll select optional modules to tailor the course to suit your career goals. Popular module choices include the study of CBT, sexual health and gerontology.
You have the opportunity to experience practical learning as an apprentice to a health psychologist over 12 weeks and develop your reading of research papers and discussing them in a journal club with students on the course.
Our health psychology master’s degree is taught by active leading researchers and experts across the different areas of health psychology, interventions and research methods. You’ll have the opportunity to attend seminars from researchers at the Centre for Clinical and Community Applications of Health Psychology.
Previous students have pursued careers in the public, private and third sectors, working as psychologists in research, education and professional practice.
- On this masters in health psychology the core taught component of the programme extends over two semesters. There are seven core modules, covering health psychology and research methods. In addition to the core modules, you will be expected to take one optional unit and attend a bespoke series of generic skills workshops during your MSc Health Psychology studies.
- The MSc Health Psychology Programme Director is Prof Christina Liossi. The Deputy Programme Director is Prof Roger Ingham.
- Biopsychosocial Aspects of Health
- Psychosocial Aspects of Illness and Disability
- ARM-qualitative methods
- ARM-planning and designing research
- Psychology and The Delivery of Health Care
- ARM-group comparisons
- ARM-correlational methods
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPsychology Sociology Health Sciences View 1971 other Masters in Health Sciences in United Kingdom
- You’ll need a 2:1 degree in Psychology or in a closely related subject.
International25400 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25400 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £25,400.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.