At the Marine Environment and Resources MSc course offered at the University of Southampton you’ll split your time between the University of Southampton and our partner universities in the Marine Environment and Resources (MER) Consortium:
- Universidad del Pais Vasco/Euskal Herriko Unibertsitatea, Spain
- Université de Bordeaux 1, France
- University of Liège, Belgium
You’ll develop your ability to think through complex issues, analyse the marine environment and its resources, and ensure that marine development is sustainable.
Through compulsory modules you’ll gain a thorough knowledge of biological, physical and chemical oceanography, as well as marine geology.
A wide range of optional modules will allow you to develop your own specialism. Typical subjects include:
- integrated coastal zone management
- the assessment of marine ecosystem health
- protection and recovery of marine and estuary environments
- competitive and responsible fisheries management
You could also choose to learn about topics such as deep sea ecology, large-scale ocean processes, and satellite oceanography.
The course is taught in English, but you’ll be able to study local languages for free during your time with our partner universities.
The course was created in response to the EU’s European Marine Strategy and Water Framework Directive, designed to better protect the European marine environment and the resources upon which marine-related economic and social activities depend.
Employers in the public and private sectors need good graduates as managers, planners, policy-makers, researchers and advisers who can make a difference in marine environmental resource management.
After successfully graduating from this course, you’ll be well-placed for leadership roles in marine sectors such as:
- conservation and environmental management
- non-governmental organisations
- local, national or international government
You’ll also be in a great position to continue your studies at PhD level.
- Contemporary Topics in Geology and Geophysics
- Biological Oceanography
- Physical Oceanography
- Chemical Oceanography
- Marine Geology
- Applied and Marine Geophysics
- Large Scale Ocean Processes and Climate
- Biogeochemical Cycles in the Earth System
- Introductory Remote Sensing of the Ocean
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesNatural Resource Management Marine Studies Environmental Sciences View 46 other Masters in Marine Studies in United Kingdom
You’ll need a 2:1 degree in:
- earth and environmental sciences
International11000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11000 GBP per year during 24 months.
National4500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4500 GBP per year during 24 months.
EU and international students pay £11,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.