At Gender Studies from The University of the West Indies emphasis is placed on exposing students to the importance of appreciating difference vis-à-vis gender and other social categories of analysis. Beyond familiarizing students with the key analytical debates in the field of gender and development, the programme also considers diverse analytical tools and theoretical approaches for the analysis of development theories from a uniquely gendered perspective.
As part of the MSc. course of study, you will be familiairzed with a variety of contemporary issues, solutions and methods in and around gender and development. In turn, some of the career that you will be eligible for are:
- Gender Specialist / Advisor.
- Policy Advisor
- Contemporary Feminist Theorizing
- Feminist Epistemology and Methodology
- Issues in Caribbean Feminism and Gender Relations
- Gender Analysis for Development, Policy and Planning
- Sexualities, Bodies and Power in Society
- 18 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Gender & Sexuality Studies Philosophy & Ethics View 5 other Masters in Philosophy & Ethics in Barbados
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at The University of the West Indies and/or in Barbados, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants should have a First Degree with at least lower 2nd Class Honours (GPA 2.0-2.99). Preference will be given to students with some prior training in gender studies. This could include the UWI Minor in Gender and Development or Gender Studies or its equivalent.
- Application Processing Fee (BDS $30 for applicants from contributing countries OR US $30 for applicants from a non-contributing countries)
- Birth Certificate (certified or notarized copy)
- Curriculum Vitae (2 copies)
- Two (2) Referee reports (PDF)
- Professional Certificates/Diplomas
- Marriage Certificate (where applicable) (certified or notarised copy)
- Legal Affidavit or deed poll if your present name is different from that on the Birth Certificate (certified or notarised copy)
International8333 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12500 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
National8254 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12382 USD for the full programme during 18 months.
BDS$25,000 for national students.
Living costs for Bridgetown
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.