This Materials Science and Engineering programme from Xi'an Jiaotong-Liverpool University provides students with a comprehensive understanding of the complex interrelation between material synthesis, processing, structure, properties and performance through theoretical, practical and computational work.
Graduates of this programme will significantly contribute to the technological advancements involved in materials science and engineering performance and apply the knowledge gained in the analysis, development and testing of new materials in the modern industry.
The Materials Science and Engineering programme encompasses a research-led teaching and technology-enhanced learning approach at all levels of study. It aims to train researchers to resolve the current and future challenges associated with developing advanced materials in science and engineering for energy production, materials for challenging environments, structural material applications, advanced composites and nanomaterials.
The content of the degree programme integrates the engineering discipline and materials chemistry and modelling.
The focus is on materials synthesis, characterisation and mechanical testing on nanomaterials and metal alloys.
Students of this programme can select their specialisation field by selecting optional modules in either molecular modelling (science) or computational solid mechanics (engineering). Students attending this programme will also be able to work on collaborative projects with the Jiangsu Industrial Technology Research Institute (JITRI), a leading institution in research and development of advanced materials.
This provides students with the opportunity to investigate diverse materials (e.g. polymers, ceramics, etc.) during the three semesters of project work which can be linked to industrial placement . In addition, after completing this masters programme, students with an interest in academia and advanced research positions in the industry will also be provided with opportunities to pursue a PhD degree through collaborative research scholarships or self-funded study.
By the time you graduate from the MRes Materials Science and Engineering programme, you will have developed:
- an in-depth theoretical understanding of material properties, structure and mechanical behaviour, as well as the importance of materials science to engineering and other technical applications;
- knowledge and understanding of a wide range of material characterisation and mechanical behaviour techniques, as well as strong research and analytical skills in materials chemistry and engineering;
- practical and problem-solving skills in materials science and engineering, applied in a wide range of theoretical and practical situations; and
- skills to present complex ideas, research methodology and key results and conclusions in written and oral formats.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Nanotechnology and Advanced Materials
- Experimental Methods in Materials and Mechanics
- Characterisation of Materials
- Research Project – Planning and Scheduling
- Research Project
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesMaterials Science & Engineering Electrical Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 406 other Masters in General Engineering & Technology in China
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Top 100 of 2021 Shanghai Ranking or World-class universities or First-class disciplines (MoE, People’s Republic of China): 75 percent or above (Weighted Average Mark)
- Other universities: 80 - 85 percent or above (Weighted Average Mark), depending on your undergraduate institution
- UK upper second class honours (2:1) or equivalent
- 3.0 Cumulative GPA (out of 4) or
- 3.2 Cumulative GPA in the final two years of your undergraduate programme
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International2669 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2669 EUR per year during 24 months.
National2669 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 2669 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Suzhou
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.