Michener Fellows at the University of Texas at Austin enroll in three courses each fall and spring semester. The Writing degree plan includes workshops and “studies” courses in both fields, flexible electives, and a 3rd-year thesis in the primary field of concentration.
The Michener Center aims to be an inclusive, inspiring, and invigorating community where writers feel safe and supported to take chances on the page. We are extremely proud that there is no hierarchy here—all students receive equal funding—and we firmly believe that our egalitarian approach fosters a higher level of work that more competitive environments suppress.
Fields of Concentration
- Our goal in every fiction workshop is for the prose to be taken seriously and on its own terms. Regardless of formal distinctions—novel or short story, psychological realism or avant-garde experimentation—we want our writers to feel empowered and encouraged to produce the kinds of fiction they want to read.
- Our goal in the poetry workshop is simple: that students feel increasingly excited by and invested in poetry. That calls for an intelligently engaged and ambitious criticism that starts with a generous reading of each poem and respect for what may be an approach and intention very different from their own.
- The playwriting concentration at MCW is a demanding, three-year course of study designed for artists committed to professional dramatic writing and its teaching. The curriculum emphasizes the generation and revision of new work, both by the individual playwright and in progressive collaborations with other writers and artists.
- Our emphasis is, first and foremost, on writing and immersion in a community of creative writers. We also want to provide you with access to film studies and production offerings that will both focus and expand your ideas. Whether you want to write for television, film, or both, our program aims to give you the tools, time, and community to write the script that will bring your vision to the screen.
Areas of study in this program include:
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature View 826 other Masters in Literature in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- ApplyTexas Online Application
- 3 Letters of Recommendation
- Statement of Purpose
- Writing Sample
- International students whose native language is not English must also submit TOEFL scores
InternationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 36 months.
NationalFreeTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 0 USD per year during 36 months.
- All admitted students receive a fellowship of $29,500 per academic year, plus total coverage of tuition.
Living costs for Austin
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.