The Microelectronics System Design MSc course offered by the University of Southampton examines aspects of system integration and discrete device properties. It is also an excellent platform for further research in the Nano or Electronic and Software Systems groups.
We’ve led many of the most important advances in electronics and microelectronics over the past 30 years. This course will give you the highly sought-after skills for research or work in the industry.
You’ll gain key skills relating to digital and analogue integrated circuit design and electronic systems engineering. There will also be opportunities to engage in specialised activities around the production of system on chip design on both integrated circuit and advanced FPGA (field-programmable gate array) platforms.
Through this course you’ll learn how to:
- specify and design complex and highly integrated microelectronic systems
- model and simulate the behaviour of parts of microelectronics systems elements and complete circuits
- evaluate a device design using advanced simulation and modelling tools
- find, understand and explain literature related to specialised areas of microelectronics systems
- formulate a research project involving an advanced microelectronics system using appropriate the latest techniques, technologies and tools
Graduates from our microelectronics master’s are sought after by commercial enterprises and universities worldwide.
We have close links with all the major UK Design companies who recruit many of our graduates. This degree also has a dedicated careers hub which is affiliated with over 100 renowned companies such as:
- Microsoft Research
- Imagination Technologies
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- TT Technical Methods and Writing
- Nanoelectronic Devices
- Digital IC and Systems Design
- Project Preparation
- VLSI Systems Design
- VLSI Design Project
- Digital System Design
- Advanced Wireless Communications Networks and Systems
- Medical Electrical and Electronic Technologies
- Analogue and Mixed Signal CMOS Design
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesDesign Electronics & Embedded Technology Biotechnology View 511 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
You’ll need a 2:1 degree in electrical engineering or electronic engineering.
You must also have an upper 2:1 score in the following:
- 1 maths module
- 1 physics module
- 1 circuit module (e.g. circuit design or circuit analysis)
- 2 relevant electronics modules (e.g. electronics design, embedded system design, digital electronics, semiconductor devices)
International26850 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 26850 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
- EU Full-time: £26,850
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 6 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.