If you’re considering a career in the electrical power industry, this course will give you the skills in high demand from employers.
Through this Energy and Sustainability with Electrical Power Engineering MSc course at the University of Southampton you’ll gain an advanced understanding of the relationships between core types of energy, work, force, power and efficiency.
You’ll learn about:
- the design and management of power systems
- bulk electrical energy transport issues
- the design and operation of electricity transmission and distribution networks
- how to specify equipment through tools such as ERACS and PowerWorld
- the fundamentals and impact of current and future energy/power production methods
You'll get to personalise this master of electronic and energy engineering course to your interests and career aims, through a choice of modules and an individual project. You’ll also have access to research facilities, including our high-voltage laboratory and interdisciplinary clean room.
This programme provides an excellent base for students considering a career in the electrical power industry. Graduates from our MSc programme are employed worldwide in leading companies at the forefront of technology. ECS runs a dedicated careers hub which is affiliated with renowned companies such as:
- Microsoft Research
- Imagination Technologies
- Samsung Google
Programme StructureCourses include:
- TT Technical Methods and Writing
- Project Preparation
- Power Systems Analysis
- Power Generation: Technology and Impact on Society
- Power and Distribution
- Green Electronics
- Mechanical Power Transmission and Vibration
- Advanced Electrical Materials
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesElectrical Engineering Energy & Power Engineering General Engineering & Technology View 137 other Masters in Electrical Engineering in United Kingdom
You’ll need a 2:1 degree in electrical engineering or electronic engineering.
You must also have an upper 2:1 score in the following modules:
- 1 electrical machines module (e.g. electrical machines, electrical apparatus, electrical drives, electrical motors, control of machines or drives, electro-mechanical energy convertors)
- 1 electric power systems module (e.g. power system control, electrical power systems, energy power systems, transmissions and distribution of electrical power, power generation, electrical networks)
- 1 electrical engineering module (e.g. high voltage engineering, power circuits, electrotechnics, power electronics, electronic converters)
- 1 engineering physics module (e.g. engineering physics, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, electromagnetic theory, applied electromagnetics, robotics, control engineering)
International28000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28000 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National9250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
EU and international students pay £28,000.
Living costs for Southampton
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.