The key areas of knowledge data science relies on are computer science, mathematics, and domain knowledge -- that is an understanding of the field the data is collected from and used in. As the quantity and types of data collected has increased in recent years, business, researchers, and policy makers have increasing need for Data Scientists to turn data into information. In our data science programme you will learn to gather, manage, and analyse structured and unstructured data including numbers, text, images, video, audio, etc. Students will also learn important statistical and algorithmic methods to work data, to extract information, and to create useful outputs based on this information.
The Data science program from University of Primorska is set in accordance with the guidelines of the European Mathematical Association (EMS). The basic objectives of the study program are based on in-depth theoretical knowledge, access to domain experts in various fields, and industry internships, through which graduates will be capable of using current techniques as well as develop new methods of processing big data to “bring data to life” and “tell stories with it”. The content of the study programme is based on the state of the art and current trends in data science and all underlying disciplines including ethical issues and regulations (e.g. GDPR) into account.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain and consolidate an in-depth knowledge of special areas in the field of mathematics, statistics and theoretical computer science, which are the basis for the ability to solve real problems in the field of big data.
- Students will be trained for deep understanding of data science.
- Students will develop the ability of analytical thinking, proofing and argumentation in various fields of data science.
- Students will develop the ability to analyse given data and select appropriate methods/techniques for collecting data in order to obtain new results.
- Students will be trained for team work.
- Students will be trained for the use of modern technological tools (programming languages) in solving and presenting problems and concepts of data science.
- Students will be trained for collecting and managing data based on ethical principles.
- Data science practitioners are in high demand in the world where 2.5 quintillion bytes of data are produced every day. Data scientists have a passion of understanding data and can turn seemingly meaningless data into a recommendations to support businesses understand their customers, improve the way customer data is used, improve products, services or experiences, and help businesses grow.
- These days, start-ups and well-established companies, along with researchers and policy makers, increasingly rely on data to drive and support decision making. As a consequence data scientists are valued in various employment environments such as research institutions, IT companies, banks, insurance companies, transport organizations, and other businesses which produce data in increasing quantities.
- Experts predict that by 2020 there will be 40 zettabytes of data. As such, career opportunities for data scientists will expand. In addition to data scientist, some of the important job titles of data scientists are data architect, data manager, data analyst, business analyst, business intelligence manager, etc.
- Data Engineering and Distributed Information Systems
- Data Science Ethics
- Selected Topics in Discrete Mathematics
- Selected Topics in Information Visualisation
- Intelligent System
- Databases for Big Data
- Mining Massive Data
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
- Apply before , National
DisciplinesInformatics & Information Technology Computer Sciences Data Science & Big Data
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Primorska and/or in Slovenia, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- completed a first-cycle study programme in any mathematical study field; or
- completed a first-cycle study programme in other professional fields, provided that they have, prior to enrolment, fulfilled all study obligations that are deemed essential for the continuation of studies in the Master's study programme in Mathematics and accumulated at least 30 credits.
- The applicants may fulfil these obligations during their first-cycle studies, under training programmes, or by taking examinations prior to enrolment in the study programme Mathematical Sciences.
International3255 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3255 EUR per year during 24 months.
EU/EEA3255 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3255 EUR per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Koper
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.