The Latin American Studies programme of the University of Amsterdam offers a research-driven, small-scale and internationally oriented programme. During the classes you will study current developments in the region such as the new wave of economic, social and political crises. Recent trends aggravate problems of inequality, insecurity and unsustainability; yet new hope for change comes from the indigenous and other social movements, the renegotiation of gender and ethnic relations and the rise of the new urban middle classes. To understand the complexity of these current-day social transformations, a historical perspective is crucial.
The programme provides you with critical knowledge, academic skills and an in-depth understanding of the academic literature. You are trained to become a researcher who is able to conduct research out in the field, in Latin America, and whose research will contribute to our knowledge of currents trends in that area.
Why study Latin American Studies at UvA?
The Master’s in Latin American Studies offers you:
- An intensive and multidisciplinary programme: you will approach the dynamic field of Latin American Studies from a multidisciplinary perspective.
- A strong academic basis: the programme will equip you with the research skills and knowledge to conduct research and fieldwork in Latin America.
- A research-driven programme: by developing your own research plan and by undertaking two-and-a-half-month long fieldwork you will become an expert in a certain field, region or country.
- An international classroom: you will be engaging with students from all over the world, offering you an inspiring international community.
- A flexible curriculum: you are free to compose part of the curriculum by choosing electives, tutorials and external courses in your desired area of study.
- Access to a unique library collection and excellent research and study facilities.
Programme StructureCourses include:
- Latin American Studies: Deepening the Debates
- Memories Need to Swim: Heritage and World-Making in Latin America
- Socio-EnvironmentaI Changes in Latin America: Power, Participation
- Global Cities in Latin America
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies Language Studies American Studies View 112 other Masters in Area & Cultural Studies in Netherlands
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at University of Amsterdam and/or in Netherlands, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A letter containing your motivation and research idea (in English)
- Your curriculum vitae (in English)
- Copies of your university degrees and academic transcripts (in English, Dutch, Spanish or Portuguese)
International3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 EUR per year during 12 months.
EU/EEA3000 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3000 EUR per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Amsterdam
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.