The Tourism Management and Destination Leadership course at the Technological University of the Shannon aims to prepare graduates from a variety of academic backgrounds for rewarding careers (both nationally and internationally) in tourism and related sectors. Career opportunities such as in Destination Management & Marketing Organizations; Governments, NGOs, and Tourism Industry Associations Transportation & Accommodation companies; Event Management & Conferences; Corporate Travel Management; Tourism Research & Consultancy.
This program encourages hand on experience and interaction between academics and industry practitioners from the national and international tourism sector. By the end of the programme students are expected to have knowledge and critical awareness of:
- International toursim and development
- Relevant theories that inform international tourism management decisions
- Ethical, corporate social responsibility and sustainability dilemmas that arise in the tourism professional practice
- The interrelationships between the various stakeholders and sectors of the visitor economy with a particular focus on the digital
- Professional and organisational practices acquired from a tourism and destination internship
- Methodologies for effective practical research in national/ international tourism
Graduates who complete the Level 9, 90 credit Master of Arts in Tourism Management and Destination Leadership.may be eligible to pursue postgraduate research at doctoral level or further taught postgraduate study in complementary areas of study.
- Tourism Planning
- Tourism Management
- Destination Leadership
- Public and private tourism industry roles
- Tourism, Environment, Society and Development
- Research Methods
- Destination Management and Marketing
- Digital Visitor Economy
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesHospitality Management Leadership View 3 other Masters in Hospitality Management in Ireland
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Technological University of the Shannon and/or in Ireland, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
This is a conversion programme aimed at a wide range of disciplines which cover tourism modules at undergraduate level;
Graduates are likely to come from the following programmes: Tourism as a broad discipline welcomes candidates with expertise in various fields. Candidates will have a minimum of a Level 8 Honours degree and will have to complete an interview to obtain admission.
- Bachelor of Arts degrees in humanities/ social science related subject areas – e.g. sociology, geography, history, anthropology
- Bachelor of Business/ Commerce/ Arts degrees in the business subject area – e.g. business management, marketing
- Bachelor of Arts/ Business degrees in the hospitality, tourism, leisure, sport, food sectors
International247 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 495 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA247 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 495 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
- PG Dip - €495 for eligible students in employment/ no fee for eligible students who are not in employment. Additional fee for M.A. (TBC) for all students who wish to progress (optional)
Living costs for Athlone
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.