The agenda of global priorities - set by the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), reminds us daily, the urgence to design the sustainable solutions able to improve the living conditions of people worldwide, in the future scenarios of evolving city and mobility. We are aware that in order to identify and tackle such a challenge new approaches and new professional figures are needed.
From this awareness the first edition of the Master of Arts (Second Level Academic Diploma) in Transdisciplinary Design, is born in IED. The theme of the future of mobility is the focus of Turin’s edition, while the theme of the evolving cities is the focus of Milan’s edition.
Open to students coming from different backgrounds, from design, to humanities or sciences, the study path offers to participants the experimentation of new ways to conceive and put in practice the relation between design and society.
The two-year Transdisciplinary Design course from Istituto Europeo Di Design (IED) is addressed to both designers and not designers. Applicants for this programme will show a passion for designing real-world, people-centred responses to complex problems, in the domains of mobility and the future of urban environments, whether or not they have come from a traditional design school route.
In particular it can involve people who come from design, arts, sciences, humanities, economics, digital technologies, technology planning, system design and other fields. A common feature of participants will be the strong motivation to utilise their knowledge and experience in addressing compelling problems in a transdisciplinary environment, the openness and will to contaminate and be contaminated by the interaction with classmates and lecturers with a peer-to-peer approach.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- The first year is organised in three stages: Foundations, Framing the Context and Design Research.
- It will explore methods and models of transdisciplinary design: it foresees the creation of the studio-team, the development of soft skills and of the necessary habits to work in a design team with a trans-disciplinary approach.
- It also envisions the analysis of a given briefing and the development of competences useful to tackle the complexity of scenarios and projects linked to the two city focuses.
- The second year is composed of four stages: Ideation, Development, Test, Executive Summary & Final Exam. Operating as an international design team, the goal is to identify future scenarios and design disruptive projects enabling systemic changes.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesDesign Innovation Management Environmental Management View 24 other Masters in Innovation Management in Italy
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- To register for an IED Master of Arts (awarding a Second Level Academic Diploma) , you must hold an Undergraduate Degree (Three-Year Degree or equivalent Diploma).
- Valuation of academic record
- Language test (for candidates applying for a course taught in a language other than their mother tongue and who do not have a language certificate).
- Admission interview.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International9700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
EU/EEA9700 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19400 EUR for the full programme during 24 months.
Living costs for Milano
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.