Societies and governments across the globe are faced with increasingly complex environmental challenges, from climate change to local environmental quality in our cities and regions. Within this context, there is a growing demand for graduates with a capacity to develop environmental policy choices, to analyse them critically and to provide guidance in policy implementation.
The aim of the MSc in Environmental Policy from University College Dublin is to provide students with the professional knowledge, skills and tools to equip them for a career in the environmental field while contributing to a more sustainable and resilient future.
What will I learn?
The MSc in Environmental Policy is designed to develop professional knowledge, skills and tools for environmental problem solving and for a successful career in the environmental field:
- Professional Knowledge: environmental processes and change, policy and legal frameworks, social movements and the environment;
- Professional Skills: leadership, problem-solving, team-working, research methods, communication and media skills, project management, strategic planning;
- Professional Tools: policy analysis, GIS, environmental assessment, cost benefit analysis, environmental mediation, public participation, risk management.
How will I benefit?
The MSc in Environmental Policy will provide you with the skills and knowledge to understand environmental challenges and to provide innovative, creative and socially just solutions for managing environmental change. Within the degree programme you will develop practical and transferable skills including environmental assessment, policy evaluation, GIS, project management and strategic planning skills. The programme aims to combine theoretical knowledge and professional skills development and this is reflected in our teaching approach, which draws on lectures, seminars, project-based learning, lab-based instruction and independent study with experienced academic staff and input from policy-makers and industry.
More informationVisit official programme website
- Public Policy & the Environment
- Environmental Economics
- Geographic Information Systems for Policy & Planning
- Research Design
- Research Methods for Sustainability (Tools for Policy Analysis)
- Environmental Change and Processes
- Concepts and Principles of Environmental Law
- European Environmental Policy
- Tools for Sustainable Development
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Applications are assessed on a rolling basis and courses will close once they are filled.
DisciplinesEnvironmental Economics & Policy View 13 other Masters in Environmental Economics & Policy in Ireland
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Graduate degree in any academic field. As the MSc provides both introductory and specialised modules in Environmental Policy, we welcome applications from students with a background in a diverse range of academic subjects including social sciences and arts, environmental sciences, law and business studies, and engineering.
- Names and contact details of two referees who can assess your intellectual ability, maturity and motivation. At least one of these should be a senior member of academic staff at your current institution or a senior member of staff at your current place of employment.
International25600 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 25600 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
EU/EEA7885 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the original amount of 7885 EUR per year and a duration of 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.
Updated in the last 9 months
Check the official programme website for potential updates.