Students taking the Gender Pathway will develop a specialist understanding of Development Studies in the context of Gender. SOAS' recognised strengths in this area, including the establishment of the SOAS Centre for Gender Studies, makes this a unique and exciting opportunity for those interested in development and gender.
Students on the Development Studies with reference to Gender at the SOAS University of London are encouraged to write their dissertation on a Gender topic of their choice. This will enable them to reflect on their learning throughout their studies and apply this to a Gender-related topic.
Why study MSc Development Studies with reference to Gender at SOAS
- we are ranked number 2 in the QS World University Rankings in the subject of Development Studies
- SOAS is ranked in the top 5 universities in the UK for producing a CEO or Managing Director, according to new research
- we are specialists within the humanities including in key topics such as international development, gender development, violence and conflict, environmental sustainability, the role of aid and trade in promoting development, as well as refugees and forced migration
- our staff have unrivalled practical knowledge across the discipline and regularly inform organisations such as the UN, NGOs and international governments
- as well as the curriculum knowledge you will also obtain a rich historical and cultural
- knowledge about the countries and regions in which you may work in
- you will be able to flexibly structure your programme using our Open Options modules to take advantage of the expertise of our other departments, including the opportunity to learn a language
- we are specialists in the delivery of languages. Your command of a language at SOAS will set you apart from graduates of other universities
- Theory, policy and practice of development
- Political Economy of Development
- Feminist Political Economy and Global Development
- Gender and Development
- Gender, Protest, and Revolution in the Middle East
- Gender and the Law of Peace
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesGender & Sexuality Studies Sociology View 100 other Masters in Gender & Sexuality Studies in United Kingdom
- We will consider all applications with a 2:2 (or international equivalent) or higher in social science of humanities subject. In addition to degree classification we take into account other elements of the application such as supporting statement.
- References are optional, but can help build a stronger application if you fall below the 2:2 requirement or have non-traditional qualifications.
International23800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 23800 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14270 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14270 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.