This Synthetic Biology course from Newcastle University is designed for students from both biological and computational backgrounds. Prior experience with computers or computer programming is not required. Students with mathematical, engineering or other scientific backgrounds are also welcome to apply. It is ideal if you are aiming for careers in industry or academia.
We provide a unique, multidisciplinary experience that is essential for understanding synthetic biology. The programme draws together the highly-rated teaching and research expertise of our Schools of Computing Science, Mathematics and Statistics, and Biology, as well as the Medical Faculty and the Institute of Human Genetics.
Research is a large component of this course. The emphasis is on delivering the research training you will need in the future to meet the demands of industry and academia effectively. Newcastle's research in life sciences, computing and mathematics is internationally recognised.
The teaching staff are successful researchers in their field and publish regularly in highly-ranked systems synthetic biology journals.
Our experienced and friendly staff are on hand to help you. You gain the experience of working in a team in an environment with the help, support and friendship of fellow students.
- Synthetic Biology
- Modelling Cellular Systems
- Programming for Biologists
- Synthetic Biology Group Project
- Research Skills for Bioinformatics
- Research Project for Synthetic Biology
- Numeric Skills (Statistics and Mathematics)
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
We suggest international students apply at least two months before the course starts. This is so that you have enough time to make the necessary arrangements.
DisciplinesBiology Bioinformatics & Biostatistics Genetics View 476 other Masters in Biology in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Newcastle University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- A 2:2 honours degree, or international equivalent, in computing science or a maths based subject. Or a 2:2 honours degree, or international equivalent, in any biological science based subject, such as: genetics, biochemistry, biology
- We will also consider your application on an individual basis if you have a degree in a related subject not listed above or a lower/non-standard qualification with significant industrial or professional experience.
- English Language requirements
International30000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 30000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National15300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15300 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Newcastle upon Tyne
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.