At a Glance
Our understanding of subsurface workflows and resources is critical to many of the new clean energy technologies associated with the energy transition, such as geothermal energy, carbon capture storage and the growing demand for critical minerals needed to produce clean technologies such as wind turbines, batteries and electric vehicles.
At the heart of the Sustainable Energy Geoscience programme at the University of Aberdeen is a focus on developing a strong technical understanding of rocks and fluids in the subsurface, and how to model, monitor and verify their presence using geophysical, petrophysical and other techniques. This knowledge is then applied to a wide range of low carbon energy solutions including sustainable mineral extraction, geothermal flow and subsurface storage.
We place a strong focus on geoscience interpretation and the high-demand skills needed for both present-day and future energy extraction and storage scenarios. In addition, you will examine the societal implications of the energy transition, including social justice, global dynamics and sustainability goals.
This MSc draws on much of the ground-breaking research being conducted within the Centre for Energy Transition (CET), in areas such as geothermal energy, carbon capture and storage, nuclear waste storage and critical materials for the energy transition.
- Geophysics and Petrophysics
- Applied Sedimentology and Structural Geology
- Professional Skills Incorporating International Field Trip
- Earth's Energy Resources
- Geothermal Flow
- Subsurface Energy Storage & Sequestration
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEarth Sciences Geology Sustainable Energy View 166 other Masters in Sustainable Energy in United Kingdom
- Our minimum entry requirement for this programme is a Geology or Geophysics degree at 2:1 (upper second class) UK Honours level (or an Honours degree from a non-UK institution which is judged by the University to be of equivalent worth).
- Evidence of high marks in the following key subjects is important for admission: Evidence of creative thinking, data synthesis, teamwork, problem-solving. As well as key technical geological skills.
- To study for a Postgraduate Taught degree at the University of Aberdeen it is essential that you can speak, understand, read, and write English fluently.
International28764 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 28764 GBP per year during 12 months.
National12800 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 12800 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Aberdeen
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.