Your major project will be the co-creation of a publication, such as The York Literary Review. This will be a journal of original literature, including prose, poetry, non-fiction and art. You will also have the flexibility to pursue your own projects that you are passionate about. Projects can be developed and tailored to your learning needs. The staff team of award-winning writers have an exciting and diverse approach to creative writing, literature and publication and are able to supervise a huge range of proposed projects.
You will be encouraged to take a professional approach to your study and attend the variety of events provided by the York Centre for Writing. These include visits from agents, publishers, editors and writers and fosters an important sense of belonging and community. You will also have opportunities to attend trips away.
Our reading lists are diverse and innovative, often promoting the work of authors who have been marginalised and the publishers who champion them. This is an important element of our ongoing work to decolonise the curriculum. We encourage you to approach your practice and study within wider political, environmental and cultural contexts.
This Publishing course at York St John University will help prepare you for a career in the publishing industry. You will also leave with transferable skills in:
- Project management
- The Journey of the Book: the Publishing Process
- Publishing Then and Now
- The Business of Publishing
- Practical Publishing
- Publishing Project
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApplication deadline not specified.
DisciplinesCreative Writing Literature Media Studies & Mass Media View 361 other Masters in Media Studies & Mass Media in United Kingdom
- 2:1 honours degree in a related subject
- Interview: if your degree is in a non-related subject
- Your application many be considered if you have a degree in Humanities, Arts, Sciences and Social Sciences or other related subjects.
- If you have a 2:2 undergraduate degree and knowledge of a subject related to publishing, you may be accepted on to the course following an interview. You may also be required to submit written work to support your application.
International13000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 13000 GBP per year during 12 months.
National7000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 7000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for York
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.