As a research student in the Environmental Biology programme at the University of Essex, you’ll work at the heart of our internationally acknowledged and well-connected research community. We offer world-class supervision and training opportunities, and encourage you to engage with other researchers, professionals, practitioners and research users, where possible for example using the generous funding from Proficio to attend conferences and training courses.
Our School provides a comprehensive range of facilities for environmental biology research which include:
- high-throughput molecular ecology facilities
- aquaria, mesocosms and other facilities for ecology and behaviour studies
- analytical facilities for measuring trace gases, hydrocarbons and lipids
- a greenhouse with GM containment and controlled environment growth facilities
- a Plant Phenomics Facility for high throughput screening of model plant species
- extensive microbial cultivation facilities
- advanced bioimaging suite to visualise and analyse images of biological processes in real time
A dedicated study room allows all our postgraduate research students to have access to a desk and a computer outside of the research laboratories. This provides a focal point for our postgraduates, facilitating reading and writing as well as good communication and a sense of community.
Many of our postgraduates continue their scientific research by taking up postdoctoral positions in the UK and overseas. Others go on to work with industry, governmental and non-governmental organisations and environmental agencies.
- Environmental microbiology
- Plant productivity
- Marine and environmental science
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesBiology Environmental Management Environmental Sciences View 326 other Masters in Environmental Sciences in United Kingdom
- You will need a good honours degree and a Masters degree in a relevant subject. A well-developed research proposal is also essential.
- You may be required to attend an interview/Skype interview for acceptance, and acceptance is subject to research expertise in the department.
International19740 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19740 GBP per year during 36 months.
National5630 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 5630 GBP per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Colchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.