Mental and physical health and wellbeing are an essential foundation for all people, from childhood into old age. However, much of mental and physical health provision still relies on a treatment perspective. By contrast, this MA/MSc will promote holistic, salutogenic and preventive strategies that recognise and respond to people’s needs, wants, wishes and rights to further health, wellbeing, and equality.
Students on the programme will hold the critical belief that creativity and design have a significant part to play in designing interventions to further health and wellbeing, and they will hold a conviction that through its co-creative and collective approaches, design offers new ways of reimagining public and community health.
Covering the three key areas of context and policy, co-design and design outcomes and interventions, this comprehensive programme will enable individuals to gain the knowledge and experience needed to propel their careers in a fast-developing field.
Graduates of Design for Health and Wellbeing programme from Manchester Metropolitan University will possess the skills and characteristics needed for a variety of career paths, including product designer, design researcher/strategist, UX designer and design consultant.
Beyond design fields, graduates will also be equipped to pursue careers as workshop managers, community art and outreach co-ordinators, wellbeing support workers and more.
- Design Thinking
- Co-designing with Users
- Design Development in Practice
- Synthesis Project: Design for Health and Wellbeing
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
There is no deadline for applications to our postgraduate programmes, however we recommend you apply as early as possible.
DisciplinesDesign Public Health View 537 other Masters in Design in United Kingdom
- Applicants will have a 2:2 or above at degree level, with experience in the field of design and/or health (or international equivalent); or a degree equivalent postgraduate diploma, or a professional qualification or relevant professional experience will be considered.
- Alternatively, applicants may be admitted without the above, if they can demonstrate exceptional experience within the field.
International18500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 18500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National10000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 GBP per year during 12 months.
- UK and Channel Island: £1667 per 30 credits studied per year.
- Eu and Non-Eu International: £3084 per 30 credits studied per year.
Living costs for Manchester
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.