- The Island Biodiversity and Conservation programme at The University of Exeter is designed to meet the needs of conservation professionals specialising in islands, students who wish to remain in academia and conservation practitioners from across the world
- You will study in a beautiful island with rich biodiversity and have substantial fieldwork opportunities in most modules, including modules run out of JICAS Island field school and research centre
- Comprises modules that target both research and practical conservation skills
- Opportunities to complete the dissertation module in a number of different islands, including Hawaii, Greece, Canary Islands, Madagascar and Mauritius to name a few
Employer-valued skills this course develops
The aim of the degree is to train future leaders, managers and policy makers in island biodiversity and conservation. Through integral collaboration with key players in the field of biodiversity and conservation, this MSc ensures the training you receive will prepare you for immediate employment both in the UK and abroad.
Our careers teams at the Career Zone at the University of Exeter can help guide you through a wealth of information to match your skills and interests to a career that will suit you. Our staff work with regional, national and international employers to develop new work placement, project and graduate opportunities.
After you graduate
This Island Biodiversity and Conservation programme from the University of Exeter also prepares you for a career in various academic positions and/or PhD study.
- Pre-requisite and gateway to PhD
- Academic positions in leading organisations and enterprises
- Environmental and conservation consultancy services
- Management positions in global conservation NGOs
- Management positions in public conservation government ministries, organisations and departments
- Management positions in other third sector conservation organisations and institutions
- Technical positions in conservation and sustainability consultancies, and international bodies such as and IUCN
- Corporate Social Responsibility
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Fieldwork Statistics and Experimental Design
- Island Biogeography
- Island Ecology
- Biodiversity and Evolution on Islands
- Invasion and Extinction on Islands
- Global Conservation Strategies and Legislation
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
Whilst we don’t have a formal deadline for application, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. We close to applications wishing to join us for study in 2022/2023 on Friday 16 September. We advise international applicants to submit a complete application by mid-July.
DisciplinesSoil Science Biodiversity & Conservation Environmental Management View 110 other Masters in Biodiversity & Conservation in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
- Normally at least a 2:1 Honours degree or equivalent in Biology or a relevant science subject is required, although a 2:2 with relevant experience will be considered.
- Applicants with significant, professional work experience seeking an academic qualification or the opportunity to enhance skills or knowledge in this field will also be considered.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International25500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 25500 GBP per year during 12 months.
National14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 GBP per year during 12 months.
UK fees per year:
- £14,500 full-time; £7,250 part-time
- £25,500 full-time; £12,750 part-time
Living costs for Exeter
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.