The Executive Master of Public Administration, housed in the Department of Public and International Affairs in the College of Arts and Sciences from University of North Carolina Wilmington, is an interdisciplinary, terminal professional degree designed for working professionals who seek to develop their professional skills and abilities and want to pursue careers as managers, analysts, supervisors, and program specialists in the public and nonprofit sector.
The program is designed for busy working professionals who plan to attend part-time. Courses are delivered asynchronously online in a semester format, which includes a summer term that spans both regular summer sessions. Students can complete the degree in 2 years by taking 2 courses during the fall, spring, and summer semesters. We admit students in each term.
The EMPA program is a 36-hour program accredited with the Network of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration. Our required coursework emphasizes developing the following learning competencies:
- To lead and manage in public governance;
- To participate in and contribute to the policy process;
- To analyze, synthesize, think critically, solve problems, and make decisions;
- To articulate and apply a public values perspective; and
- To communicate and interact productively with a diverse and changing workforce and citizenry.
Students develop these competencies by completing 36 credit hours of approved graduate level courses. If a student is admitted who does not have 3 years of professional experience, an additional 3 credit hours of a professional internship is required or a total of 39 credit hours.
All students are required to complete the 18 credit of core classes designed to enhance the skills and abilities needed my leaders, managers, and analysts pursuing careers in the public or nonprofit sector.
Students then complete 18 additional credit hours of approved electives that focus on developing their analytical and managerial skills and abilities. We have detailed our Learning Competencies (pdf) and Assessment Plan (pdf) to collectively assess the progress students make toward achieving these competencies by using a variety of methods including but not limited to case analyses, internship reports, critical essays, and the capstone projects.
Students are given five years to complete the degree, but most can complete it in as little as two or 3 years.
- Public Management
- Quantitative Methods
- Public Human Resources Management
- Financial Management and Decision Making
- Policy Analysis
- Strategic Planning and Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Administration Human Resource Management Public Policy View 206 other Masters in Public Administration in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- An application for graduate admission
- Official transcripts of all college work (undergraduate and graduate). A GPA of at least 3.0 at the undergraduate level is required for admission. Students with a GPA below 3.0 may be accepted provisionally when there is a record of professional work experience longer than 5 years or other evidence that suggests the ability to successfully complete graduate coursework (e.g., standardized test scores on the GRE or GMAT, successful completion of other graduate coursework).
- Three recommendations from individuals who are in a position to evaluate the applicant’s professional competence as well as potential for graduate study (ideally at least one reference should be an academic instructor).
- A personal statement describing your professional experiences, reasons for pursuing graduate study in the Executive MPA program, and your professional career goals
- 5 or more years of professional work experience
International19104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19104 USD per year during 24 months.
National19104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19104 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State4720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4720 USD per year during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.