The comprehensive curriculum of the Filmmaking program from University of North Carolina Wilmington includes multi-modal (narrative, documentary, and experimental) workshop-style courses in cinematography, screenwriting, editing, sound design, producing, and directing, as well as courses in cinema history, analysis, and aesthetics.
Each student develops technical expertise and a creative voice by:
- Directing three short films.
- Collaborating on projects directed by peers.
- Developing filmmaking skills in specialized classes.
Students gain additional practical experience through internships or other applied-learning projects tailored to their interest in some aspect of motion picture production, exhibition, distribution, or education.
Who should apply to the MFA in Filmmaking?
The MFA serves established and aspiring filmmakers seeking to develop their artistic, technical, and professional filmmaking skills in a variety of modes and roles. It furthermore offers a practical education in motion-picture production for professionals in related areas, such as interactive media, advertising, journalism, gaming, and publishing. Finally, it provides a terminal degree to those seeking teaching positions, especially at the college level.
- Sound Recording and Design
- Directing the Experimental Film
- Entrepreneurs in the Industry
- 36 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesVisual Arts Film, Photography & Media Entrepreneurship View 758 other Masters in Visual Arts in United States
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A Statement of Purpose that articulates the goals the candidate would like to pursue in the M.F.A. program.
- A sample of creative film or video work. You may submit multiple samples of creative work, but the total running time of all samples must be at least 5 minutes and no more than 20 minutes.
- Work in other media (i.e. still photographs, audio projects or a written script) may be submitted, but at least one example of filmmaking work is required. The application for graduate admission allows up to three uploads of work in other media, each with a maximum size of 20mb.
- An example of academic writing, at least 5-10 pages long.
- Official transcripts of all undergraduate and graduate work.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae
- An application for graduate admission.
International19104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19104 USD per year during 36 months.
National19104 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19104 USD per year during 36 months.
In-State4720 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4720 USD per year during 36 months.
Living costs for Wilmington
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.