The MSc Applied Child Psychology from Birmingham City University aims to enhance your knowledge and experience in applied areas of child psychology and equip you with the expertise and academic skills necessary to support graduate employment. The course aims are:
- To equip you with a range of specific applied and transferable skills, enhancing your opportunities for professional and career development in a variety of disciplines within the field of child psychology.
- To allow you to develop specialist theoretical and practical knowledge that will underpin your work with children and consider applications of this knowledge to professional contexts and situations, e.g., supporting children with diverse developmental, neurological, and psychological needs.
Why Choose Us?
- Our diverse academic team are active researchers with first-hand experience of working and conducting research with children in developmental, educational, and clinical contexts. Their involvement in leading-edge research allows direct application of contemporary research findings into our teaching material.
- Staff contact hours provide an opportunity to engage in face-to-face group learning, whilst remote learning tasks and independent study provide an opportunity to engage in wider reading and private study.
- Although the course is not part of a chartered route into psychology or a prerequisite for entry into Educational or Clinical Psychology training, the MSc Applied Child Psychology provides an MSc level qualification alongside employability coaching and the option of completing a relevant work placement. Students who already have a BPS accredited undergraduate degree in psychology can use successful completion of the course to significantly enhance their prospects of applying for doctoral training in these highly competitive fields.
- Neurodiversity in Applied Contexts
- Skills and Methods for Applied Research in Child Psychology
- Child and Adolescent Clinical Psychology
- Educational Psychology in Practice
- Empirical Research Project in Applied Child PsychologY
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesPsychology Educational Psychology View 829 other Masters in Psychology in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at Birmingham City University and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Applicants must have a minimum 2:2 honours degree in Psychology or another relevant discipline (Education, Health and Social Care, Sociology, Childcare, etc.), and GCSE English Language and Mathematics at Grade C or above
- As this course is not a BPS accredited route into chartered psychology, this course does not require applicants to have a BPS accredited undergraduate degree or to have completed a Psychology conversion course.
- Applicants with undergraduate degrees in less relevant disciplines or alternative level-six qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis if they are able to demonstrate a substantial amount of relevant work-based experience.
- Successful candidates for the Professional Placement option will be required to obtain Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) clearance before enrolment in order to undertake the placement.
International16300 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 16300 GBP per year during 12 months.
National9000 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 9000 GBP per year during 12 months.
Part Time: £1000 per 20 credits
Living costs for Birmingham
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.