About the programme
The Geographic Data Science programme at the London School of Economics and Political Science will suit you if you are interested in research for academic or policy purposes, have a background in economics or other quantitative social science and are interested in developing your technical skills in analysis of spatial data.
The programme combines courses in the Department of Geography and Environment, with options in data science and programming from the Department of Statistics and Department of Methodology.
Skills in obtaining, managing, visualising and analysing data (data science) are in high demand and the programme combines a training in the application of these methods and the use of geographical information systems (GIS), with the chance to study topics in urban economics, economic geography, environmental economics or planning. The culmination of the programme is a dissertation in which you investigate your own research topic using the data science and GIS methods you have studied on the course.
Data science topics covered include programming (in R, Python and Stata), machine learning, visualisation, spatial quantitative analysis and econometrics (depending on your interests and previous experience). There is an emphasis on the use of these methods to understand causes, inform policy and address critical, policy-relevant questions in human geography, economic geography, planning, environment and development.This programme will:
- Train you in the use of data science methods appropriate for working with geographic data, with an emphasis on answering causal research questions;
- Provide you with the opportunity to study Masters level courses in economic geography, environmental economics or planning;
- Provide you with an opportunity to apply data science skills through an extended dissertation on a geographical topic;
- Develop a set of transferable skills in independent thought, writing, data analysis, independent research, presentation and debate that are pre-requisites for future careers.
- Applied Geographical Information Systems
- Techniques of Spatial Economic Analysis
- Applied Quantitative Methods
- Computer Programming
- The Economics of Urbanisation
- Local Capacity and Economic Development Polic
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesGeography Geographical Information Systems (GIS) Data Science & Big Data View 71 other Masters in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Starting from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at London School of Economics and Political Science and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Upper 2:1 degree or equivalent with background in economics or another quantitative social science, and good analytical, quantitative and technical skills
International24456 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24456 GBP per year during 12 months.
National24456 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24456 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.