The Master of Arts in Teaching in Elementary Education (MATEE) program at Oakland University is a 2-year teacher certification program that will prepare individuals for a career in teaching at the elementary or middle school level (grades K-8). The program combines teacher education coursework, three field placements in local schools, and a semester-long (15-week) student teaching internship.
Courses are taken as a cohort with coursework beginning in the fall semester. All classes are held on OU’s main campus two weekday evenings per week, in addition to some online coursework. Students are required to complete 100 hours of field experiences prior to student teaching. During the field placements, students will actively engage in the classroom, observe instruction and classroom management, work with small groups of students, and implement lessons. Field placements are arranged to afford students depth, breadth, and diversity of authentic learning experiences in schools where they can apply what they are learning in a real classroom.
- Health Curriculum at the Elementary-Middle Levels
- Instructional Design and Assessment Secondary
- Managing the Classroom Environment of and for Diverse Learners
- Digital Literacies and Learning
- Teaching Fitness and Wellbeing in Elementary and Middle Level Classrooms
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , National
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesEducation Teaching Early Childhood Education View 4369 other Masters in Education in United States
- Goal statement
- Resume (Curriculum Vitae)
- The two online recommendations must be from individuals in a supervisory relationship to the applicant
- Experience Working with Children Form
- Official transcripts will be required demonstrating: a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or better (improved grades in recent coursework will be considered) and evidence of completion of one teaching major with a minimum grade of 2.7 or B- in each course. Additional major courses may be necessary for individuals whose prior coursework does not include sufficient credits for the core competencies set by the Michigan Department of Education for teaching in a major content area.
- Individual interviews may be conducted in addition to these requirements
International19842 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19842 USD per year during 24 months.
National19842 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 19842 USD per year during 24 months.
In-State15648 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 15648 USD per year during 24 months.
Living costs for Rochester Hills
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.