In the Wireless and Microwave Communication Engineering programme at Cardiff University you will be taught advanced level knowledge and skills that will allow you to succeed in the rapidly growing wireless and microwave communication industry, while also enhancing your research skills.
You will develop expertise in new and evolving areas of microwave engineering including mobile communications and the medical applications of microwaves. You will improve your advanced computer-aided design, measurement and characterisation skills. The course will also offer modules in:
- radio frequency engineering
- advanced fabrication and test
- commercialising innovation
- non-linear RF design and concepts.
You will also have the opportunity to complete an independent project as part of an intensive research stage, putting you in a strong position for a possible future in academic or industrial research. If you do not wish to undertake a research project, you can exit with a Postgraduate Certificate, thus maximising accessibility whether you are working in industry or higher education.
Career prospects in this field are generally excellent, with graduating students following paths either into research or related industry.
If you are interested in working in industry, many of our graduating MSc/MPhil/MRes students achieve excellent employment opportunities in organisations including Infineon, Huawei, Cambridge Silicon Radio, Vodafone and International Rectifier.
In terms of research, Cardiff University has many electrical, electronic and microwave related research areas that require PhD students, and the MRes will provide you with an excellent platform if this is your chosen career path.
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesWeb Technologies & Cloud Computing Communications Engineering View 39 other Masters in Communications Engineering in United Kingdom
- An upper second class honours degree in electrical or electronic engineering or a similar field from a good UK university or an equivalent international degree qualification. If you have a good 2:2 or equivalent, or relevant industrial experience, we will give your application individual consideration.
- You will need to demonstrate understanding or experience in electromagnetic concepts relevant to microwave engineering, as well as an understanding of basic nonlinear devices such as transistors and diodes.
International21950 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 21950 GBP per year during 12 months.
National8700 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8700 GBP per year during 12 months.
Living costs for Cardiff
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.