The MA in Medieval and Early Modern Studies from Canterbury Christ Church University is for anyone interested in studying the premodern past in depth. The students usually include recent graduates wishing to continue their studies, mature students returning to study after a longer or shorter time of pursuing other interests, and secondary-school teachers seeking professional development.
All about the course
An MA in Medieval and Early Modern Studies is increasingly regarded as a valuable extension of undergraduate study in that it:
- offers you an anticipated edge in the professional job market
- enhances applications for teacher training where advanced specialist knowledge can be an asset. The PGCE History team in the Education department at Canterbury Christ Church University strongly encourages students to gain an MA before applying for the PGCE
- provides essential postgraduate experience for you if you intend to continue your study of premodern History or Literature at MPhil/PhD level
- provides a period of study if you wish to take a career break.
Your future career
The advanced skills you will gain, together with the specialist disciplinary knowledge you will develop during the course, will enhance your employability and can help you find a career in fields such as: education, the civil service, journalism, finance, the law, politics, and heritage. The MA also provides you with the skills needed to pursue a Ph.D. in a range of fields, including History, Heritage, English Literature, and Religious and Theological Studies
- Themes and Sources in Medieval and Early Modern Studies
- Critically Reading Medieval and Early Modern Studies
- A History of Our Hopeful Tomorrows: Utopian Thought from Thomas More to Modern Science Fiction
- Spectres Haunting the West: A History of Horror in the West
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesArea & Cultural Studies History Modern History View 172 other Masters in Modern History in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
- A 2:2 honours degree in History or a relevant discipline is required. Holders of other qualifications will be considered individually.
- If English is not your first language you require an IELTS overall score of 6.0 with no element below 5.5 for most standard undergraduate and postgraduate courses. There are some exceptions and if the IELTS requirement differs it will be specified on the course page.
International14500 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 14500 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National8250 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 8250 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Living costs for Canterbury
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.