Global warming, climate change, environmental disasters, and terror threats present significant and growing threats to societies. Disasters, crises and risks cause social, economic, financial, natural and physical disruption that often most severely affect the poor and vulnerable. The ‘messiness’ that risks, crisis and disasters create requires complex solutions to mitigate impact.
Identifying interconnections between these frameworks and putting them into practice to achieve sustainable outcomes in complex situations can be challenging for practitioners and responders. This highly inter-disciplinary Risk, Crisis and Disaster Management (Distance Learning) degree at the University of Leicester aims to develop your confidence, as a frontline practitioner/responder, to improve practice, alleviate poverty, reduce systemic risk, and in so doing, assert leadership in this field.
In addition to learning the risk, crisis and disaster management theories that underpin the UN’s Frameworks, the course will provide you with the skills and confidence to plan and execute research and engage in global debates with confidence. To achieve this, you will be supported in developing skills in evaluating information critically, communicating ideas clearly, undertaking advanced conceptual analysis, using information sources effectively, reporting and interpreting research critically, and developing new approaches to problem-solving.
- Our Risk, Crisis and Disaster Management course is accredited by the Institute of Risk Management (IRM). You'll gain exemptions for a professional qualification and apply for graduate membership of IRM.
- Our teaching and interaction with students is based on the latest developments in the field because our staff regularly attend conferences and professional meetings.
- Our teaching is inspired by the findings from our cutting-edge research. Lecturing staff have a wide array of research interests ranging from international development and the securitisation of risk to flight-deck human factors and nuclear safety.
- We are a signatory of the UN-backed Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME) initiative through which we provide future leaders with the necessary insights and skills to reflect upon, critically analyse and provide leadership with regard to risk, crisis, disaster, and development management for sustainability.
- Theories of Risk, Crisis and Disasters
- Disaster Risk Reduction and International Development
- Managing Risk, Crisis and Disasters
- Emergency Planning Management
- Research Methods and Project (Risk, Crisis and Disaster Management)
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesManagement Studies Emergency & Disaster Management View 369 other Masters in Management Studies in United Kingdom
- A good honours degree in a relevant field (2:2 or above, from a recognised HE institution) or its equivalent or at least three years of work experience in a related field plus completion of a practice assignment.
International5747 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11495 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National5747 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11495 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.