The Hebrew University’s Institute of Archaeology, in conjunction with the Rothberg International School, offers a degree combining formal classroom studies and hands-on field experience at excavations and surveys. The M.A. in Archaeology & the Ancient Near East examines the history and culture of ancient Israel during the Bronze and Iron Ages. Students will acquire proficiency in the academic fields of archaeology, ancient texts, and ancient languages.
In the classroom, you will study with leading members of the Hebrew University faculty. In the field, you will complement your studies as a participant in major excavations and surveys, where you will gain hands-on experience. In your scholarly analysis, you will be aided by the cutting-edge facilities of the Institute of Archaeology, including the Computerized Archaeological Laboratory (with 3D scanning), the Laboratory for Archaeological Materials and Ancient Technologies, and the Institute’s renowned Collection Room.
The program’s Jerusalem location provides students with direct access to important archaeological sites, museums, and other world-renowned facilities.
Why join the Archaeology and the Ancient Near East at The Hebrew University of Jerusalem ?
- Participate in major archaeological excavations and surveys
- Gain access to our cutting-edge analytic laboratories
- Live in Jerusalem, a historical city and access point to important archaeological sites and museums
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
- Bronze Age Canaanite City-States: Culture, Politics and Economy
- Iron Age Kingdoms: Israel, Judah and their Neighbors
- Cuneiform in Canaan: Issues in the Archaeology and History of Writing in the Land of Israel
- Topics in the Archaeology of Jerusalem in Biblical Times
- Society and Economy in Judah and Israel
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
DisciplinesArchaeology Ancient History View 4 other Masters in Archaeology in Israel
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- Bachelors degree from a recognized university
- "B" average in undergraduate studies or its equivalent. These are the minimum admission requirements. Many departments are selective and require a higher grade average.
- Additional exams may be required, such as the GRE or GMAT.
- Knowledge of English: All candidates are required to meet English proficiency requirements as listed in the program website. TOEFL and IELTS are recognized.
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4868 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4868 USD per year during 12 months.
National3898 USD/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 3898 USD per year during 12 months.
- Annual tuition for all other programs – 14,042 NIS
- Annual tuition for Non-Israeli citizens for all other programs - 17,533 NIS
Living costs for Jerusalem
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.