The MSc in Evidence-Based Health Care Teaching and Education will position you to integrate theory and research evidence, critical reflection and principles of design, assessment and evaluation in planning and delivering effective education in evidence-based medicine and health care. It can be taken part-time alongside work commitments, generally over two to four years.This is a joint programme between the Nuffield Department of Primary Care Health Sciences and the Department for Continuing Education. The programme is led by staff from the renowned Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine in Oxford.
This programme has teachers and contributors who are internationally recognised leaders in the field of evidence-based health care, research-led teaching and experts in medical education and research. The flexible structure of the course has been devised to suit people studying alongside professional commitments and to accommodate student choice.
The aims of the course are for you to:
- continue your professional development as educators, support the professional development of others, and to play a leading role in furthering education in evidence-based health care
- foster your leadership in the teaching and education of evidence-based health care throughout the health professional education continuum
- enable you to develop your teaching role in clinical and educational settings, including the use of educational technologies and online/virtual environments
- teach core concepts of evidence-based health care including research methods, critical appraisal, biostatistics, and translational science effectively and with confidence
- undertake effective course design and evaluation in evidence-based health care
- broaden and deepen your knowledge of relevant theoretical frameworks and educational research evidence
- inform practice with the best available evidence regarding effective methods and approaches to education in evidence-based health care
- develop skills to undertake rigorous evaluation of educational interventions including evidence syntheses and small-scale research studies contributing to the evidence-base for effective education in evidence-based health care
The MSc in EBHC Teaching and Education is a part-time course. There are four compulsory modules, two option modules and a dissertation.
- Teaching Evidence-Based Practice
- Developing Practice in Medical Education
- Course Design, Assessment and Evaluation
- Developing Online Education and Resources (Fully online)
Option Modules (two must be chosen)
- Introduction to Study Design and Research Methods
- Knowledge into Action
- Systematic Reviews
- Complex Reviews
- Realist Reviews and Realist Evaluation
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Introduction to Synthesising Qualitative Research
- Randomised Controlled Trials
- Introduction to Statistics for Health Care Research (Fully online)
- Mixed Methods in Health Research
Successful applicants should:
- have professional work experience in the health service/health-related field.
- identify a work-based problem for which they will be seeking evidence.
- show evidence of access to opportunities to deliver teaching and education activities including delivery, assessment and/or evaluations during their study on their course.
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPublic Health Teaching Health Education View 422 other Masters in Teaching in United Kingdom
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
We are not aware of any English requirements for this programme.
International20430 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40860 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
National20430 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 40860 GBP for the full programme during 24 months.
Living costs for Oxford
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.