The Theoretical Physics MSc at King's College London is a demanding research-informed course that gives you a coherent, comprehensive introduction to the building blocks of modern theoretical physics and the opportunity to explore more advanced topics.
- Top 10 in the UK for Mathematics (QS World Rankings by subject 2020).
- Located in the heart of London, giving unparalleled access to research facilities.
- You will be studying innovative modules covering modern theories of physics.
- Research-led course taught by staff who are recognised leaders in their field.
- Opportunity to study theoretical and mathematical physics such as general relativity and quantum field theory, and advanced topics such as string theory and supersymmetry.
- Excellent tutorial support, extensive course-specific interactive teaching and regular classroom discussions.
Many of our graduates go on to start PhD studies in theoretical physics at various universities in the United Kingdom and abroad, including with our group here at King’s, for which the MSc is particularly well tailored.
Our graduates also take up full-time employment in various industries that require good mathematical/computer knowledge. Recent employers of our graduates have included the Algerian Space Agency, FRM Capital Advisors and Lloyds Banking Group.
Programme StructureCourses Include:
- Theoretical Physics Project
- Foundations of Mathematical Physics
- Advanced Quantum Mechanics
- Quantum Field Theory
- Supersymmetry and Conformal Field Theory
- Strings, Branes and Quantum Gravity
- 12 months
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
DisciplinesPhysics View 198 other Masters in Physics in United Kingdom
Make sure to cover your health, travel, and stay while studying abroad. Even global coverages can miss important items, so make sure your student insurance ticks all the following:
- Additional medical costs (i.e. dental)
- Repatriation, if something happens to you or your family
- Home contents and baggage
- Legal aid
We partnered with Aon to provide you with the best affordable student insurance, for a carefree experience away from home.Get your student insurance now
Start from €0.53/day, free cancellation any time.
Remember, countries and universities may have specific insurance requirements. To learn more about how student insurance work at King's College London and/or in United Kingdom, please visit Student Insurance Portal.
- Bachelors degree with 2:1 honours in Physics or Maths. Alternatively, a 2:1 in a degree subject related to Maths will be considered on a case by case basis.
- A personal statement of up to 4,000 characters (maximum 2 pages) is required.
- A copy (or copies) of your official academic transcript(s), showing the subjects studied and marks obtained.
- Two references are required with at least one academic.
- Applicants may wish to include a CV (Resume) or evidence of professional registration as part of their application.
International24660 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 24660 GBP per year during 12 months.
National11040 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 11040 GBP per year during 12 months.
- Home/UK fees: £5,520 per year
- Overseas fees: £12,330 per year
Living costs for London
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.