The Global Development program at The Open University UK will provide you with an in-depth understanding of key development issues, such as migration, environmental sustainability and the global politics of development, and encourage you to reflect on ways to engage with development issues at different scales. You will be introduced to a conceptual framework to help analyse and understand global development in a multitude of contexts, drawing on a range of case study material. In the process, you will enhance your skills in critical thinking, working with evidence, and presenting arguments using a variety of techniques and media.
Development scholars and practitioners are highly employable social scientists. They go on to a wide range of destinations after graduation, including:
- Development managers
- Government policy makers
- Development consultants
- Business managers
- Environmental consultants
- Data analysis and visualisation using development techniques
- Transport planners
- Commercial analysts
- Financial services
- Field centre instructors
In addition, significant number of postgraduate students choose to register for doctoral studies in a variety of specialised areas.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Key features of the course
- Provides knowledge and understanding of theories and concepts to make sense of global development issues.
- Critically engages with the global development agenda, including the Sustainable Development Goals.
- Encourages you to reflect on your standpoint, and that of others, with respect to global development debates.
- Builds essential skills for a career in development and related areas.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 12 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- StartingApply anytime.
DisciplinesInternational Relations International Development View 46 other Masters in International Development in United Kingdom
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
- It is recommended that you hold a UK bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), or have had experience of working, in a paid or voluntary capacity, in a development-related agency (international or local), public sector or business setting prior to embarking on this qualification. However, these requirements are not compulsory, and you will not be required to provide any supporting documentary evidence.
- Your spoken and written English must be of an adequate standard for postgraduate study. If English is not your first language, we recommend that you will need a minimum overall score of 6 and minimum score of 5.5 in each of the four components: reading, writing, speaking and listening under the International English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International4235 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4235 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
National4235 GBP/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 4235 GBP for the full programme during 12 months.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.