You will acquire the skill of identifying and assessing, in a differentiated manner, the social conditions and effects of scientific and technological innovations. You will be able to recognise ‘hype’ surrounding new technologies or scientific breakthroughs, and intervene and arbitrate in public debates on the risks, ethical controversy or social desirability of innovations.
The Science, Technology and Society Studies programme from University of Klagenfurt , which runs for four semesters, is interdisciplinary in its approach and draws on theories and methods from social and cultural studies. Enrolled students will develop knowledge of the fundamental importance of science and technology to modern societies. The programme will prepare you for challenging jobs, in areas such as research and technology funding, political and corporate consultancy, EU and international administration, media, public relations, cultural organisations, technology assessment, and university and non-university research.
Upon completion, graduates of the Master's degree programme “Science, Technology & Society Studies” are able to:
- perform analyses of current problem areas and fields of conflict with regard to science, technology and innovation;
- comprehend interactions between scientific-technological developments and societal change;
- process insights from social-scientific science and technology research for the benefit of societal decision-making and design;
- apply the acquired skills in the strategic planning and project management of businesses and in public engagement processes; and
- contribute actively to scientific research projects.
Get more detailsVisit official programme website
Programme StructureDuring the programme, you can focus on the following subject areas:
- Governance, innovation, sustainability: you will examine the ambivalences of science and technology in ongoing controversies and risk debates, for example concerning climate change, food security, health and justice.
- Knowledge, culture, digitalisation: you will learn about the emergence of ‘modern’ science and current developments in scientific organisation and practice.
- Democracy, power, politics: you will explore the interrelatedness of science and politics by asking how power relations shape, and are shaped by, knowledge and technology.
- Gender & diversity, bodies, identities: you will acquire the skills to uncover the context-dependency of knowledge and technology.
Check out the full curriculumVisit official programme website
- 24 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before
- Apply before
DisciplinesSociology General Engineering & Technology View 13 other Masters in Sociology in Austria
Explore more key informationVisit official programme website
We are not aware of any academic requirements for this programme.
You only have to meet the following conditions, which also apply to all other programmes:
- Bachelor’s degree programme from all fields completed at a University or a University of Applied Sciences, or a degree programme of equivalent academic value, completed at a recognised post-secondary educational institution
- Students who have successfully completed a Bachelor's degree programme assigned to the groups of Engineering Sciences, Natural Sciences, Medical Sciences, or the Arts, must demonstrate that they have acquired an adequate level of knowledge in the following areas (overall 12 ECTS credits)
Make sure you meet all requirementsVisit official programme website
International1452 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 726 EUR per semester during 24 months.
EU/EEA726 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 363 EUR per semester during 24 months.
Living costs for Klagenfurt
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Double-check all feesVisit official programme website
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.