HFT Stuttgart’s MEng in Smart City Solutions (SCS) is designed for professionals in the fields of architecture, urban design, urban planning, infrastructure, or engineering; equipping them to take leading roles in complex international projects.
The Master Programme provides you with the knowledge and methods to work in smart city projects with a focus on strategy, concept, and project implementation: either self-employed, as a leading consultant for an international company, or as a leading architect, urban planner, or engineer.
Students acquire skills and knowledge in fields related to the urban challenges Smart Cities promise to redress: transport and energy, urban development and urban planning, governance and finance, construction and architecture, urban data platforms, and use cases.
The unique feature of the programme is the Case Study. During this two-semester course students draft and conceptualize a smart city strategy for a city or an urban development in close exchange with their lecturers and the responsible persons from the case study, exposing their ideas to frequent reality checks. Past Case Studies were hosted by the City of Ludwigsburg, Siemens, and the City of Ulm.
Our flexible, modular structure allows students to study full-time or to combine their studies with part-time work.
Students who are preparing to take up leadership roles in their smart city careers can opt for the dual degree and earn an additional MBA from Liverpool John Moores University. This requires spending an additional semester in the United Kingdom.
The master programme is accredited by ASIIN (the Accreditation Agency for Study Programs in Engineering Sciences, Informatics Computer Science, Natural Sciences and Mathematics e. V.).The program has 90 Credit points and can be studied full-time (3 semesters) or part-time (5 semesters, EU Citizens only).
Module 1 BASIC OF SMART SOLUTIONS (6 ECTS)
Module 2 SMART URBANISM (6 ECTS)
Module 3 SMART BUILDING (6 ECTS)
Module 4 SMART INFORMATION MODELLING (6 ECTS)
Module 9.1 CASE STUDY (6 ECTS)
Module 5 SMART ENERGY & MOBILITY (6 ECTS)
Module 6 SMART RESOURCES & RESILIENCE (6 ECTS)
Module 7 SMART SUSTAINABLE FINANCE (6 ECTS)
Module 8 SMART GOVERNANCE, CITIZENS & MANAGEMENT (6 ECTS)
Module 9.2 CASE STUDY (6 ECTS)
Module 10 MASTER THESIS PROJECT (10 ECTS)
Module 11 MASTER THESIS (20 ECTS)
- 18 months
- 30 months
Start dates & application deadlines
- Apply before , International
- Apply before , EEA/EU
DisciplinesArchitecture Civil Engineering & Construction Environmental Sciences View 14 other Masters in Civil Engineering & Construction in Germany
First university degree that qualifies for a profession
- Bachelor's, Magister, Diplom or equivalent
- Suitable majors are construction and infrastructure-related subjects (e.g. architecture, urban planning, civil engineering, business administration or management)
- 210 ECTS / full-time study programme of 7 semesters
- If your have a degree in another discipline the admission committee will decide if SCS is a good fit for you.
-If you have a first university degree with 6 semesters or 180 ECTS please check the FAQs below.
- First university degree that qualifies for a profession
- Bachelor's, Magister, Diplom or equivalent
- suitable majors are construction and infrastructure-related subjects (e.g architecture, urban planning, civil engineering, business administration or management)
- comprising at least 210 ECTS / full-time study programme of 7 semesters
- If you have a degree in another discipline the admission committee will decide if SCS is a good fit for you.
- If you have a first university degree with 6 semesters or 180 ECTS please check the FAQs below.
- Above-average academic grades
- Demonstrated knowledge of the English language
- 550 points (paper-based test)
- 213 points (computer-based test)
- 80 points (internet-based test)
- IELTS test (academic or general) min. score 6,5
- At least one year of relevant full-time professional experience after completing your first higher-education degree
At least one year of relevant full-time professional experience after completing your first higher-education degree
International6666 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
EU/EEA6666 EUR/yearTuition FeeBased on the tuition of 10000 EUR for the full programme during 18 months.
Living costs for Stuttgart
The living costs include the total expenses per month, covering accommodation, public transportation, utilities (electricity, internet), books and groceries.
Scholarships at HFT Stuttgart
A limited number of scholarships are available to all students of HFT Stuttgart. Students qualify with an outstanding academic performance, demonstrated social commitment and special personal circumstances. Students can apply after enrolling in the curriculum.
- Germany Scholarship / Deutschlandstipendium
3,600 € per year paid in monthly instalments of 300 €. over a period of 12 months.
- University foundation / Studienstiftung der HFT Stuttgart
1,500 € per year paid in two instalments of 750€. over a period of 2 semesters.
In addition to the HFT scholarships other organisations e.g. DAAD offer attractive scholarships for which you can apply prior to arriving in Germany.
Studyportals Tip: Students can search online for independent or external scholarships that can help fund their studies. Check the scholarships to see whether you are eligible to apply. Many scholarships are either merit-based or needs-based.
Apply and win up to €10000 to cover your tuition fees.